Full Screen/Hide Options

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

josh4680
New to the forum
New to the forum

Full Screen/Hide Options

Unread post by josh4680 » 2023-03-01, 18:55

Hey
Is it possible to prevent revealing the tab/address bar/Open Menu button on mouse-over when in fullscreen mode (after pressing F11) ?
I am trying to achieve a fullscreen mode with no options for the user, or something similiar to kiosk mode. But the open menu button is always there.
Thank you

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Full Screen/Hide Options

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-01, 19:53

Pale Moon doesn't offer a specialized kiosk mode that permanently hides navigation and options.
Firefox does, so perhaps you want to use Firefox ESR in an enterprise environment with the `-kiosk` command-line switch.

Since you're not going to interact with the browser otherwise aside from a dumb "view" area, it likely won't matter from a user PoV.

According to the relevant BZ bugs there are also a number of extensions for Firefox available that can achieve this, e.g. "Autohide" which would probably work on Pale moon as well.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-03-02, 01:02

I think my current setup for Pale Moon might do what you're looking for. Maybe. Or get you closer.

If I have only one tab open, I can press F11 and absolutely nothing comes down from the top when hovering the mouse, and holding Alt and pressing "F" or similar does not bring up any menus.
Edit: Testing shows the minimize/maximize/move/close menu will show up if I press Alt + Space.

Now, if there are more than one tab open, the tab bar does come down, along with the minimize/maximize/close buttons. I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker for you. You may be able to prevent this with other options.
Also, obviously, if I press F11 then I'm back to windowed mode. Not sure how you feel about that.

I've accomplished this (by accident) by moving my address bar, search bar, and similar all onto the menu bar. And also disabling the tab bar if I only have one tab open (and removing the new-tab button and similar).
Here's a screen shot from 6 years ago:
Source thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2484&p=112069#p112069

josh4680
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by josh4680 » 2023-03-02, 11:18

Thank you for your responses.

I'm actually using Serpent as the OS is XP. MyPal 29.3 works perfectly in terms of being able to configure it as required, but there are a couple of websites needed which will not load on that version. The websites load fine on Serpent, but then then I have the full screen problem!

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-03-04, 22:50

josh4680 wrote:
2023-03-02, 11:18
I'm actually using Serpent as the OS is XP.
Have you verified that the same issue you're having with Serpent happens on Basilisk on a supported operating system?

I have no issue with you asking for support with Serpent issues if you have also verified that the issue exists in Basilisk but we cannot provide support for Serpent here as it is not a project any of us here in this forum are involved with directly. Serpent is not Basilisk. Basilisk is not Serpent.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you wanted, but I have no control over anything related to Serpent.

As an alternative you may want to post on roytam1's msfn thread.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756