Basilisk vs PM status

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

bmelo
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Basilisk vs PM status

Unread post by bmelo » 2023-02-13, 02:17

What is the relationship status of Basilisk and Pale Moon now? We know previously Basilisk was a test-ever environment for UXP to imported in PM, but then UXP is now agnostic project being used by PM. So, why Basilisk? Features from Basilisk are being tested to be imported in PM yet? Or Basilisk is now a completely different web browser project and aims to have a stable version? What are the current goals of this relationship?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Basilisk vs PM status

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-02-13, 09:10

Read the description on the Basilisk website.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

bmelo
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by bmelo » 2023-02-13, 12:15

It's written Basilisk is the reference application for the XUL platform and cosidered beta all time. So, Pale Moon is not reference application for XUL platform? Yet, What's the current relationship of these two browsers?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-13, 12:50

Basilisk still exercises more parts of UXP than Pale Moon does (or ever will).
If basilisk's status changes as regards beta or what not, then basilisk-dev should update the site.

I discontinued basilisk because it no longer really served a purpose and was too much of a time-sink aside from Pale Moon. Basilisk-dev took over (see other threads in this board) after a while of discontinuation. The status currently is that Pale Moon and basilisk are fully independently maintained applications by two different people/teams on a common shared platform (UXP).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-13, 13:47

Like Moonchild said, both of our applications are built upon the UXP platform but they are built independently of each other.

You could consider Basilisk a "stable beta". Stable in the sense that it does not change much (our users basically want an snapshot of Firefox 52 with better web compatibility), beta in the sense that I am the only person working on it in any capacity and do not have time to do full regression and feature testing in every single release.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2023-02-21, 23:28

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-02-13, 13:47
Like Moonchild said, both of our applications are built upon the UXP platform but they are built independently of each other.

You could consider Basilisk a "stable beta". Stable in the sense that it does not change much (our users basically want an snapshot of Firefox 52 with better web compatibility), beta in the sense that I am the only person working on it in any capacity and do not have time to do full regression and feature testing in every single release.
Just want to say I appreciate your taking over Basilisk and as a long-time user of SeaMonkey and all iterations before that one, I know what not having enough time or any help can do to the ability to release updates. FWIW, Basilisk handles sites the best of all the XUL browsers. I use it all the time these days and much appreciate that it is available. And look forward to new releases whenever that is possible.

Tks, Nick
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol

tacomon

Unread post by tacomon » 2023-02-26, 06:56

True, very good browser and quite funny that possibly not many know about it.
And it is great that it is still worked on.