Basilisk remains active after exit (Linux) Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Basilisk remains active after exit (Linux)

Unread post by Wastelander » 2023-04-15, 09:09

FranklinDM wrote:
2023-04-15, 07:29
On second thought, reverting both commits *seem* to fix the deadlock issue, at least on Pale Moon... Can someone try building Basilisk on Linux with both of those commits mentioned reverted?
Good job, at least we could evaluate a temporary patch that reverts the commits, though I am afraid that it wouldn't happen before 32.2.0. Unfortunately I haven't a machine that is powerful enough to build Basilisk, it would literally take days to build a browser. :D
No systemd - Joborun Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-15, 09:53

Wastelander wrote:
2023-04-15, 09:09
I am afraid that it wouldn't happen before 32.2.0
No, it won't be before then as we're in the final stages of getting 32.1.1 ready.

That being said though, I looked at especially the SourceBuffer::Compact patch and it seems to me to actually remove a bunch of memory safety measures (like using raw pointers instead of UniqurPtr<> and the likes) and I'm really wondering if Mozilla didn't go potentially overboard on chasing optimizations again. It may work for them in an e10s scenario but may not work as well for us.
EDIT: from a performance perspective, the commits don't seem to make much of a difference for us, and actually seem to be detrimental in some situations. I ran both through motionmark and the results were within error (145.00+/-4.02% vs. 144.29+/-4.35%) same for canvasmark (8477 vs. 8463) and basemark favours the build with the patches backed out (355 vs. 312) so I'm wondering if it may indeed cause trouble. At the very least we won't lose efficiency by backing those commits out if it solved the deadlock, and it doesn't influence the resolution of handling large-format animated gif memory exhaustion.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-04-29, 12:40

Update: I've been testing this with those commits backed out for a few weeks, and while it did appear to fix the shutdown hang, it seemed to cause issues when browsing image/media-heavy sites (e.g. YouTube).

I recently built a debug build with and without both commits. From what I can tell, there seems to be an attempt to release image resources on shutdown. Previously, with both commits backed out, this is simply ignored in release builds, while on the other hand, it crashes in debug builds due to an assertion because the main thread is no longer active/available. However, with those two commits in place, it triggers a "deadlock" or "shutdown hang" (on release) and an assertion failure (on debug), and simply waits until the application process itself is forcibly closed by the shutdown hang watchdog.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-04-30, 10:12

Filed Issue #2218 (UXP), which should address this.

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2023-05-01, 20:47

Thanks @Moonchild and @FranklinDM for the time and effort that you are dedicating to the issue. I'm sure that you will make us able to use Photonic without having to chose between the theme and usability.
No systemd - Joborun Linux