Basilisk Update Delays and Releases Going Forward

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Basilisk Update Delays and Releases Going Forward

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-01-05, 20:35

Sorry for the delays in releasing a new version of Basilisk. I had some personal events come up in my life that negatively affected my motivation in working on any personal projects and needed some personal time to myself. I've moved on from that, but a few weeks ago I had a complete hardware failure of the machine I was using to build Basilisk. I live in a home with outdated electrical outlets and outdated wiring (no grounding at all) and a storm came through and completely destroyed some of my computer equipment including my desktop and my home file server. I think grounded outlets with a quality surge protector would have prevented this so I've had an electrician come and update the electrical wiring for the electrical circuit in my house that my office is on.

I have only had my work laptop for the past month or so, and I do not feel comfortable building releases of Basilisk on a machine that isn't mine. With the way laws work in the US, if I were to perform work related to Basilisk on a using any assets they own they could legally claim ownership of Basilisk if they were to find out.

I recently built a new desktop PC that is significantly more powerful than my last machine (32 core/64 thread AMD Epyc CPU, 128 GB DDR4 ECC memory, 4 TB NVME drive, RTX 2080) and am now able to compile new Basilisk releases again. I need to recreate both the Windows and Linux virtual machines that I was using for builds. You can expect a new release sometime between now and this next week.

Going forward Basilisk releases should be released closer to the release date of Pale Moon releases.

Thanks!
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Basilisk Update Delays and Releases Going Forward

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-01-06, 00:47

I can sympathize, I have been on my laptop a lot lately myself, been seeing a lot of family the past few months. I hope Basilisk keeps going strong! :)

I really need to get back into dealing with Epyrus and SunOS stuff myself. I think it's just a matter of coming back after the Holidays. December is kind of a rough month to be productive during.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2023-01-06, 08:53

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-01-05, 20:35
I have only had my work laptop for the past month or so, and I do not feel comfortable building releases of Basilisk on a machine that isn't mine. With the way laws work in the US, if I were to perform work related to Basilisk on a using any assets they own they could legally claim ownership of Basilisk if they were to find out.
How would that work? They cannot claim ownership on stuff you don't own/created. Most of the code in Basilisk has been written by other people. I also think they only can claim ownership for stuff someone creates using their assets. So that would limit it to non-trivial modifications to the code base – which are useless by itself without Basilisk. (Though I don't want to suggest that you should have used your work laptop for Basilisk. I guess there are plenty of other reasons not to do it)

That the storm completely destroyed your computers sucks. May the new electrical wiring protect your new machine much better.
Off-topic:
Btw, do you have RCDs in your old electrical circuits?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-06, 09:16

random wrote:
2023-01-06, 08:53
How would that work?
It would likely be enforced through an explicit contract clause that any code created on the laptop will become the property of the company. While it's unlikely that it can "proprietize" Basilisk as a whole, at the very least it would cause a legal ownership and licensing conflict (especially if the branding is privately owned already; depends on the wording of the contract) so it should be avoided or only done with explicit permission and rules in place to avoid such conflicts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Otto 6
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Otto 6 » 2023-01-06, 11:24

Don't worry, take your time. We'll all be waiting patiently for the new update. Keep going, my man. :clap:

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-01-06, 13:45

random wrote:
How would that work? They cannot claim ownership on stuff you don't own/created.
There is a clause in my employment contract that states that any code I write on my work laptop becomes property of the company I work for. That's a fairly common clause for software engineering jobs in the US.

I technically do own the Basilisk domains and logos, so in theory they could claim ownership of those. I honestly don't think my company would be interested in Basilisk at all but I have heard of this happening at other companies before (usually when the ex-employee is being sued for some reason) so I'd rather be on the safe side.

Off-topic:
random wrote:
Btw, do you have RCDs in your old electrical circuits?
In the US we call those GFCIs. Here a GFCI outlet is only required in certain situations, like for example in bathrooms or within 3 feet/1meter of sinks. All other outlets are wired without it. They do make circuit breakers with GFCI built in but those are only installed on new construction, there's no requirement for updating older electrical equipment to the newer/safer breakers.

Now that you mention it it might be worth putting those in my office.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2023-01-06, 15:18

Please, take your sweet time. No need to possibly incur the wrath of corporate. The current version is really good and satisfies my needs for an upgrade from SeaMonkey. Sorry to hear about your electric utility disaster. Looking forward to a new release whenever you can safely do so.

Much thanks.

Nick
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol