Website not loading

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Website not loading

Unread post by Wastelander » 2022-12-28, 15:26

Hi, i have installed the latest version of Basilisk for Linux and when i try to connect to https://venomlinux.org/ I just get a blank page. My profile is the default one and I have not installed any add-on. What could be the reason? The only thing I am sure is that this website makes a heavy use of JS, because in other browsers i have to keep them enabled to make it work. BTW using palefill does not help either. Thanks in advance.
No systemd - Joborun Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Website not loading

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-28, 16:13

Wastelander wrote:
2022-12-28, 15:26
What could be the reason?

Code: Select all

Invalid identity escape in regular expression
i.e. the people publishing VenomLinux have used a Google-focused framework to build their website.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2022-12-28, 16:19

Hmm very disappointed by my distro of choice 😅so i could only browse it with Firefox, Chrome etc?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-28, 16:20

For the time being, yes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2022-12-28, 16:23

Ok, I would take the chance to ask you this, the Basilisk Dev told that he has to make some time to keep up with Pale Moon but in which features is Pale Moon ahead of Basilisk for now?

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2022-12-29, 10:05

Wastelander wrote:
2022-12-28, 16:19
Hmm very disappointed by my distro of choice 😅so i could only browse it with Firefox, Chrome etc?
I would consider it a bug (of the website). IMHO a Linux (or any open source OS) distribution's website should be viewable in any browser like Lynx, Links, Netsurf, etc. It shouldn't be to hard to make install images available for everyone. E.g. debian.org or Palemoon's website does work fine in Links and it's easy to find a download link for the installer / package / diskimage even in a text browser.

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2022-12-29, 16:55

random wrote:
2022-12-29, 10:05
Wastelander wrote:
2022-12-28, 16:19
I would consider it a bug (of the website). IMHO a Linux (or any open source OS) distribution's website should be viewable in any browser like Lynx, Links, Netsurf, etc. It shouldn't be to hard to make install images available for everyone. E.g. debian.org or Palemoon's website does work fine in Links and it's easy to find a download link for the installer / package / diskimage even in a text browser.
Totally agree. Especially if we are talking about a distro that claims to be "hardcore" and systemd-free, I find this kind of contradictory. Generally the websites of these genre of distros are very bare-bones to ensure that even a basic browser is able to use them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-29, 21:32

The funny thing is many people seem to think a website has to be either bare-bones/nearly text-ony, or some bloated JS mess. But there's this whole fantastic middle ground where you can have appealing yet fast and super compatible websites that will run on every maintained browser out there. Seems to have become a lost art, of sorts.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-01-30, 09:20

Wastelander wrote:
2022-12-28, 15:26
Hi, i have installed the latest version of Basilisk for Linux and when i try to connect to https://venomlinux.org/ I just get a blank page. My profile is the default one and I have not installed any add-on. What could be the reason? The only thing I am sure is that this website makes a heavy use of JS, because in other browsers i have to keep them enabled to make it work. BTW using palefill does not help either. Thanks in advance.
At the moment the web page seems to be work fine :),
Is due a basilisk update?
have you complained to them?

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-01-30, 09:56

dapgo wrote:
2023-01-30, 09:20
Yes. v2023.01.26 included improved support for regular expressions, which was the issue here.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-30, 09:58

dapgo wrote:
The most recent UXP platform update included an implementation of unicode property escapes. So the most recent basilisk update will have picked up that enhancement as well.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-01-30, 14:41

dapgo wrote:
In my experience complaining to website owners about incompatibilities with UXP based applications rarely results in the site being fixed for our users. I have complained to dozens of websites since I started using Pale Moon and Basilisk about three years ago and 99% of the time the response I received was "Use Chrome or Firefox".

There was one website that the devs did try their best to fix it for me, but even then they eventually told me "Hey, we really want to fix this website for you since one of our devs is a fan of Pale Moon, but by fixing this for Pale Moon we are being held back from updating the JS framework on our site. For now, please use a different browser and please let us know when Pale Moon adds support for the features that were broken."
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-30, 15:02

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-01-30, 14:41
by fixing this for Pale Moon we are being held back from updating the JS framework on our site.
unfortunately this is where the reporting tends to stop, while the ones who really need to fix this are the framework devs, but they hardly ever get the memo passed to them that their use of chrome shinies is breaking all of the sites that use their framework for whole classes of users. Ultimately, a framework should aim for broadest possible compatibility; that is the whole point of abstracting web design from underlying code.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-01-31, 10:00

Moonchild wrote:
2023-01-30, 09:58
dapgo wrote:
The most recent UXP platform update included an implementation of unicode property escapes. So the most recent basilisk update will have picked up that enhancement as well.
Then these are great news because this added compatibility code will help on many other sites.

It help a lot to keep UXP in the front line of the webbrowser war :D

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2023-02-02, 13:34

dapgo wrote:
At the moment the web page seems to be work fine :),
Yes, it's loading, though the colors of the background image are flickering :D however the dev is doing a great job, now also Nextcloud is working!

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-02, 14:19

Wastelander wrote:
2023-02-02, 13:34
however the dev is doing a great job
Thank you, although I'd like to note that the Pale Moon team are doing the majority of the work through contributions to the UXP platform and we're all very appreciative for their work. Without their work on UXP, Basilisk wouldn't have had this (or any) new feature.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Wastelander
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Wastelander » 2023-02-05, 12:43

You are welcome and yes, I have to thank all the dev's team, Pale Moon first for impletenting most of the work and you for offering Basilisk, I am sure that it will get better and better :thumbup: