Please, do you plan to correct this?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Artisticum_235

Please, do you plan to correct this?

Unread post by Artisticum_235 » 2022-11-29, 13:28

Hello everyone, and above all a warm thank you to the Basilisk developers, I was desperate to find a browser compatible with modern image formats (like Webp) and up-to-date web sites, but there is still a rendering problem that's very important for me, as I navigate in Github a LOT:
This problem prevent to download anything from Github. Though Basilisk is not the only one browser affected, other (outdated or not) XUL-based browser have the same problem, extensions or not.

Thank you in advance for any constructive answer / advice / hunch / tip! :)

UPDATE: I installed the Polyfill extension, now we are talking! :D Github is functional again...

...This generates an obvious question: why a function like this is not integrated directly into Basilisk?

When I say "a function like this" I mean that Polyfill is not perfect, because now arise another rendering problem: goto [urlhttps://stablediffusionweb.com/#demo]https://stablediffusionweb.com/#demo[/url] you will see only a blank part, should be rendered like this:
Last edited by Artisticum_235 on 2022-11-29, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
My conf: mac mini 8.1, core i7 8700b (6 cores + HT) 16 go RAM, OSes: Windows 10 22h2, macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Fedora 38 KDE edition.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Please, do you plan to correct this?

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-11-29, 14:13

Thank you for reminding me that I need to get a FAQ on the Basilisk website explaining why this happens.

GitHub depends upon WebComponents which is currently not fully implemented in the UXP platform and is very difficult to implement.

To work around this issue, you can install the Palefill addon which will inject a Polyfill for WebComponents into certain pages. Installing this addon will allow GitHub to work. Keep in mind that this is a workaround and not a proper fix so it is always possible that GitHub will break again in the future.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Please, do you plan to correct this?

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-12-01, 03:22

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2022-11-29, 14:13
To work around this issue, you can install the Palefill addon which will inject a Polyfill for WebComponents into certain pages.
To get around the paradox of depending on Github for a fix for it, get the addon from here instead.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX