Need Transfer Help Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

marlowe
New to the forum
New to the forum

Need Transfer Help

Unread post by marlowe » 2022-09-18, 19:24

I was very pleased to find this new Basilisk version. Thanks for the upgrade.

I have no difficulty installing the new version but have spent several hours, with little success, trying to transfer old Basilisk bookmarks and extensions with settings. Yes I have seen the single line copy instruction, and either I am an idiot or it doesn't work for me. Neither extensions nor bookmarks will transfer. I have used Hekasoft restore function which transfers some of the extensions but without settings. The bookmarks still don't transfer. Am using Win 7 64. Is W7 the source of my problem?

My Moonchild Basilisk appdata is stored both in Local and Roaming, with Roaming containg all the needed profile data. Have tried copying the Roaming data seperately, the Local data separately, and both together. Have tried merely copying the Moonchild data, and have also tried replacing all the Basilisk-dev data with the Moonchild. I do have Pale Moon installed and its appdata is in the same Moonchild folder as Basilisk, but am only copying the Moonchild Basilisk appdata.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ghostwalker
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Need Transfer Help

Unread post by Ghostwalker » 2022-09-20, 21:56

Here's a method to try while safely protecting the old Basilisk profile.
Windows 7 x64 is fine, i use it everyday.
Never mind the AppData\Local folders, these will repopulate.
Make sure Basilisk is fully shut down then drill down to:
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\Profiles\
Drilling down to the Profiles folder seen above, you'll see your profile folder as:
????????.Default
With whatever letters and numbers that replace the question marks
(unless you intentionally renamed it).

If you have more than one profile make sure you get the one(s) you want.
For example my main Basilisk profile in Moonchild Productions is:
tuaqyqm3.Default
Leave it there for safe keeping. Right click your wanted profile and choose: 'copy'.

Drill down to:
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Basilisk-Dev\Basilisk\Profiles\
And right click empty space in it's Profiles folder window and choose paste.
You now have two differently named profiles as in my example:
tuaqyqm3.Default
and the profile created by Basilisk-Dev when it initially fired up
whatever it is (????????.Default).

I have a feeling your issue might be the naming. The original Basilisk-Dev profile name must
remain the same. Back up your Basilisk-Dev profile if you like then copy it's name (????????.Default).

Paste the name in notepad if you like so you have it, then delete the profile. Rename the profile copied from:
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\Profiles\
that now is in:
C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Basilisk-Dev\Basilisk\Profiles\
with the original Basilisk-Dev's profile name.

You've safely copied and pasted the good Moonchild Productions's configured profile into the
Basilisk-Dev's profile folder and renamed it to what Basilisk-Dev's name requires.
Basilisk will now be exactly what you had before with add-ons, bookmarks and configurations.
Hope this helps.

marlowe
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by marlowe » 2022-12-04, 18:19

Apologies for the delayed response as I had hip replacement surgery go bad. Definitely wanted to thank you for the time and effort put into your quite detailed reply. Have installed the latest Basilisk version and successfully transferred all bookmarks and extensions. I believe my previous problems were from using the Local Profile folder rather than the Roaming. Thanks again for the detailed help and hope that your post may also help others.

Ghostwalker
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Ghostwalker » 2022-12-06, 04:28

Marlowe, no apologies needed. Anyone of us who really likes to help have NO agendas. You are us. I have a good friend that had a hip replacement. Take care of your self and continue being the authentic person you are. Just know that all things pass yet who we are doesn't. I'm very happy that this description helped.