Pale Moon interface for Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Quant
New to the forum
New to the forum

Pale Moon interface for Basilisk?

Unread post by Quant » 2022-08-30, 16:37

I've done some scripting and fidgeting endeavoring to make basilisk look more like Pale Moon, I'm not entirely gratified with my work so I was wondering if people have already done this?

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Pale Moon interface for Basilisk?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-30, 17:14

I don't think anyone has specifically done that, but I think that people have applied an Australis-like theme to Pale Moon before, so in theory that might work the other way around too?

I'm not sure why you would want to do that rather than just using Pale Moon, though... the biggest difference between Basilisk and Pale Moon is the interface in the first place.

Is it just because you want WebRTC with an application that looks more like Pale Moon? I forget whether it's actually possible to self-compile a copy of Pale Moon with WebRTC enabled, but if it is, that sounds like a lot less trouble.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-30, 17:45

athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-30, 17:14
I forget whether it's actually possible to self-compile a copy of Pale Moon with WebRTC enabled, but if it is, that sounds like a lot less trouble.
It is possible but Pale Moon's front-end might be missing some code to properly handle mic/camera handling for WebRTC

That being said, there's always Classic Theme Restorer that would likely work with Basilisk, it being Australis and all.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-08-31, 12:17

Quant wrote:
2022-08-30, 16:37
I've done some scripting and fidgeting endeavoring to make basilisk look more like Pale Moon, I'm not entirely gratified with my work so I was wondering if people have already done this?
I think that if you want a Pale Moon interface you should use Pale Moon. I use both browsers depending on what I need.

If you're interested in writing a theme that applies a Pale Moon-style interface to Basilisk you may be able to find something to use as a starting point on the Internet Archive. They archived a lot of complete themes from the Mozilla Addons site before they were taken down. Most (all?) of those themes are incompatible with Basilisk out of the box and will need to be modified to work with Basilisk.

Classic Theme Restorer works with Basilisk as well. You need to disable the "Add-On lists: show add-on version" option if you decide to use Classic Theme Restorer as it breaks the add-ons manager.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-31, 12:39

Off-topic:
IMO it's easier to do the reverse - install an Australis theme on Pale Moon to make it resemble Basilisk.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX