Basilisk 2022.08.06 Released!

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Basilisk 2022.08.06 Released!

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-11, 07:51

I'm actually thinking it might be related to the build system changes on the "master" branch of Basilsik.

It looks like it still has commits in the repo from the failed GRE experiment, which messed with the build system in a lot of ways, so many that I can't even remember what all it did at this point. We rolled back Pale Moon, but I think Basilisk still has a ton of baggage from GRE that was never cleaned up. I think the last builds MC made were against the "release" branch and not the "master" one that was being messed with, but correct me if I'm wrong. I've been trying to mentally block out the end of last year. LOL.

The decision to drop Basilisk was done in the middle of the GRE cycle, I think, so it has partial work done to adapt it to GRE that was never fully completed, and which is now irrelevant anyway. That said, I could try building Basilisk on my CentOS 7 setup that I use for Epyrus and see if that makes a difference, just send over the files to Basilisk-Dev and let him compare with his build to see what the differences are, if any.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-11, 08:13

Good point. Perhaps it's a better idea to work from the final release branch instead of master which was very much a work in progress -- or at least do a diff at the final release point to see what changed and revert obvious changes that might cause this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-08-11, 12:24

athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-11, 07:51
I'm actually thinking it might be related to the build system changes on the "master" branch of Basilsik.
The GRE-specific changes in Basilisk that would have caused breakage were already fixed by Nuke/dbsoft and andkrau in a fork they were maintaining. I've already merged in all their fixes. This is a good suggestion though and I plan to go back through the diff between 2022.08.06 and the last release Moonchild did just to double check.
Nigaikaze wrote:
2022-08-11, 02:47

No. You now have reports of it happening on a at least three different flavors of desktops (MATE, Cinnamon and now KDE) and I can assure you there....
No. I only have reports of this happening on Ubuntu actually. I just tested with both Mate's file manager (caja) as well as KDE's file manager (dolphin) on OpenSuSE this morning and both of those file managers properly show the application binary as application/x-executable on OpenSuSE.

I then tested in an Ubuntu VM and the binaries are detected as shared library as you and others have stated in the forum post. This is likely an Ubuntu-specific bug (and possibly Debian due to the relationship between the two but I haven't tested that). Someone will need to open a bug with Ubuntu's upstream informing them that their MIME type detection is working incorrectly if we can't replicate this on other distros.

I'll check a couple of other Linux distros to see if this happens on those as well. If this happens only on Ubuntu there is nothing I can do here.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-11, 13:01

Hang on, I recall this "shared library" thing now. It had something to do with building with PIE, if I recall correctly binaries built with PIE (a default in some operating system configurations) will not necessarily play nice and mark the executables as "shared libraries" instead of actual binary executables. Some ELF weirdness, I believe.
You may want to look into that?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-08-11, 13:12

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2022-08-11, 12:24
I'll check a couple of other Linux distros to see if this happens on those as well. If this happens only on Ubuntu there is nothing I can do here.
I tested in OpenSuSE, Arch Linux, Fedora, and not a single one of those gave me this issue. This is confirmed to be Ubuntu and possibly Debian specific.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-11, 13:01
Hang on, I recall this "shared library" thing now. It had to do with building with PIE, if I recall correctly binaries built with PIE (a default in some operating system configurations) will not necessarily play nice and mark the executables as "shared libraries" instead of actual binary executables. Some ELF weirdness, I believe.
You may want to look into that?
Good idea, I'll look into this. This StackOverflow Post seems to match up with what you're saying regarding PIE executables as well. The ironic part is that this release Basilisk was compiled on Ubuntu (I didn't know how to configure a CentOS chroot or I would have used that). You'd think the Ubuntu/Debian devs would make sure the file managers on their distribution recognizes binaries compiled with their own GCC versions.
Basilisk Project Owner

GWL894
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by GWL894 » 2022-08-11, 16:01

Here’s another FWIW observation--- I just tried running the new Basilisk release on Puppy Linux (Fossapup64). The “basilisk” file is shown as an executable, and it launches the browser just as it should.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-11, 19:09

Just typical, isn't it? The distro making the most fuss about PIE is the distro with the most issues with it if built on it XD

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-08-15, 17:04

Oh Wow! My beloved Basiisk Browser is back! Whoohoo!

Amazing news and I can't be happier! Thank you team!

Just to report, I have downloaded the 64bit tarball on Antix Linux, and everything works as it should! Except Utube extension isn't installed. But ublock & https everywhere is working fine!

Again, thank you!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

GWL894
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by GWL894 » 2022-08-16, 20:45

When I posted about the issue of the new Basilisk release not launching properly in Linux Mint, I was using Mint 20.3. I recently installed, on a flash drive, the new Mint version 21. I just tried Basilisk on it. The “basilisk” file shows as an executable, and it launches the browser with no problem. This new Mint version is based on a later version of Ubuntu (22.04 over 20.04), and the Nemo file manager is updated (5.4.3 over 5.2.4). Whatever made the difference, the problem doesn’t seem to exist in Mint 21.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2022-08-17, 15:37

GWL894 wrote:
2022-08-16, 20:45
When I posted about the issue of the new Basilisk release not launching properly in Linux Mint, I was using Mint 20.3. I recently installed, on a flash drive, the new Mint version 21. I just tried Basilisk on it. The “basilisk” file shows as an executable, and it launches the browser with no problem. This new Mint version is based on a later version of Ubuntu (22.04 over 20.04), and the Nemo file manager is updated (5.4.3 over 5.2.4). Whatever made the difference, the problem doesn’t seem to exist in Mint 21.
Glad to hear this doesn't seem to happen on newer Ubuntu/Mint distros. Thank you for pointing out the issue in the first place. I will see if I can add a shell script or some kind of shim executable that will allow Basilisk to launch on these older distros via the file manager. PIE makes sense from a security perspective so I don't intend to disable PIE in the next release.

Asuuming the shell script works I'll probably add a FAQ section to the Basilisk site detailing what to do to launch Basilisk in this scenario as well as other topics such as branding info and basic compilation instructions.

FWIW Mozilla has supported building Firefox with PIE since version 35 but they chose not to enable it in their officially released binaries at that time for this exact reason. They appear to have enabled PIE for release builds around the end of 2018.
Basilisk Project Owner

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-08-17, 17:17

I would like to report a minor issue.
It has to do with having folder on one's Bookmark Toolbar. I have about 8 entries (1x page, 5 folders, and 2 rss live bookmarks) on my Bookmarks toolbar, but I can't move them around by click and dragging them on the toolbar.

However, the folders/entries can be moved in the bookmarks sidebar (Ctrl+b)

Edit: Running Basilisk 64 bit from a tarball on Antix 21 (Debian 11).

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-08-18, 02:27

FWIW, I can move them on Windows 10. Have you tried with a new profile?
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-08-18, 03:38

@ fatboy

Since you're using linux Basilisk, I think you have Basilisk from GTK3. I found I had the same problem on my Bookmarks Toolbar using linux Pale Moon. I could not move my folders around by clicking and dragging them. I found out this was due to GTK3. Even though GTK2 is older than GTK3, I prefer the "older" one. So I switched back using the GTK2 versions of Pale Moon and then I could move my folders around on the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Install the newest linux version of Basilisk 2022.08.06 using GTK2 (if there is a GTK2) and I think it will solve your problem.

Just because GTK3 is newer, it reminds me of an old saying which is: "Sometimes newer, isn't always better".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-18, 03:57

Night Wing wrote:
2022-08-18, 03:38
Just because GTK3 is newer, it reminds me of an old saying which is: "Sometimes newer, isn't always better".
GTK3 is 11 years old, and its successor, GTK4 has already been out for a year and a half. It probably simply has problems that none of the geniuses at the Gnome Foundation ever got around to fixing. Maybe GTK3 is more like the other old saying, "don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-18, 07:24

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2022-08-18, 03:57
GTK3 is 11 years old,
And regardless of that, GTK2 is still alive and well. There's a reason for that. Draw your own conclusions, I guess :)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-18, 09:12

Night Wing wrote:
Install the newest linux version of Basilisk 2022.08.06 using GTK2 (if there is a GTK2) and I think it will solve your problem.

Off-topic:
I definitely get your perspective, but when you're a programmer, what you find is that sometimes you have to use newer stuff you don't like very much because the older stuff isn't supported and starts developing a lot of bitrot. So I would add the proviso that "Newer may not be better at first, but when the old stuff gets moth-eaten or rots to the point you can't use it, newer is all that's left." That's why I tend to be anxious about supporting older stuff and being stuck on it, because I know that unmaintained older stuff will eventually become harder and harder to use with a modern system.

The GTK2 builds for Pale Moon aren't likely to go anywhere, but the day might come when it gets harder and harder to find a distro that lets you run GTK2 applications. My personal fear is that at this point, GTK2 and GTK3 will get dropped from most distros around the same time, with maybe a year between them, in favor of the latest version. Though maybe we'll get lucky and GTK2 will linger around like Motif, I guess we'll see.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-08-18, 10:58

Off-topic:
@ athenian200

I get your point about GTK2 being very old and probably is on it's way to being "moth eaten or rots". But GTK2 still works and more to my point, it works perfectly for people running linux Pale Moon.

Now, I don't use Basilisk. But if Fatboy's problem is due to GTK3, if there is a GTK2 build for Basilisk and it solves his problem, I would "guess" he will want to use Basilisk using GTK2. And use it until GTK2 is no longer offered (dropped).

Below is an analogy.

I'm the son of a military man and my late dad served 23 years in the US Army. Served in WW2 in Europe and Korea later on. I was brought up around firearms being in our homes and was taught how to use said firearms. And I own quite of few (a lot some would say) firearms in my home where I live with my wife.

Cutting to the chase.

I have three 12 gauge shotguns (two semi-automatic & one pump action) chambered in 2 3/4" shotshells. All three shotguns were purchased between 1965 and 1968. If one goes to a firearms dealer today, most likely they will find shotguns in the firearms racks which are chambered for 3" shotshells only.

In the firearms store I go to, there are two 4' long shelves, 18" deep with 12 gauge shotshell boxes chambered in 2 3/4" length on them. And those two 4' long sections have 6 shelves for that 4' length.

If you ask the salesperson why are 12 gauge 2 3/4" shotshells" still being offered for sale? He/she will tell you there are literally millions of shotguns sold between 1940 that still function well with no problems and still in the hands of the general public (like me).

Second analogy.

Linux Mint is only offered (today) in 64 bit builds. Mint dropped the 32 bit builds. Fine and dandy. But MX Linux still offers 64 bit and 32 bit builds. And MX Linux is very popular. Linux Mint still offers Legacy builds for those people who came from Windows 7 and UEFI which came with Windows 8.

But MX Linux, on some YouTube videos from one of the developers on MX Linux, tells people they offer Legacy and would like people to use Legacy, even though MX Linux will work with UEFI. And this is stated in the video below starting around the 3 minute and 30 second mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5YJ58YoQ8

I have five computers.

I have two linux computers (one desktop tower and one laptop) which run UEFI in linux Mint. I have one computer (a second desktop tower) which runs Legacy in MX Linux.

Another (second) laptop runs Linux Mint in Legacy and the remaining (third) laptop is still loaded with Windows 7.

Last point.

The Fedora distribution, their developers are now trying to get all other linux distros (like Mint) to only offer their distros using UEFI and drop Legacy. And that is being met with a lot of pushback and well deserved pushback (in my opinion).

So it all comes down to personal opinion which goes back to: "Sometimes newer, isn't always better."
Last edited by Night Wing on 2022-08-18, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-18, 12:49

I've always quite loved gtk2, and I don't think it's going away anytime soon. The distros and projects that are in a hurry to get rid of it are more popular in their own minds and in their press releases and woke social justice campaigns than in reality. I normally use the gtk2 version of Pale Moon or Basilisk or Epyrus.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2022-08-18, 14:46

Night Wing wrote:
@ fatboy

Since you're using linux Basilisk, I think you have Basilisk from GTK3. I found I had the same problem on my Bookmarks Toolbar using linux Pale Moon. I could not move my folders around by clicking and dragging them.
I am actually having the same issue on Pale Moon. Hadn't noticed until now. It's not a major issue, so no worries.

Basilisk has been great thus far, no crashes/issues to report.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-08-18, 16:09

fatboy wrote:
2022-08-18, 14:46
Night Wing wrote:
@ fatboy

Since you're using linux Basilisk, I think you have Basilisk from GTK3. I found I had the same problem on my Bookmarks Toolbar using linux Pale Moon. I could not move my folders around by clicking and dragging them.
I am actually having the same issue on Pale Moon. Hadn't noticed until now. It's not a major issue, so no worries.
I started a topic in the General Discusssion forum between GTK2 vs GTK3 for linux Pale Moon and the link to it is below.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=28719

But here is another oddity about GTK3. If you have more bookmarks/folders than can fit on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar, at the end of the toolbar there are two symbols which look like: >>

So if your bookmarks/folders over flow to the the >> (symbols), if you left click on the symbols, there will open up a vertical drop down context window showing the rest of your bookmarks/folders.

Now comes the oddity.

You can left click and hold your mouse button down on any bookmark/folder (which grabs the bookmark/folder) in the vertical context window of the Bookmarks Toolbar. Then in that vertical context window, you can drag it anywhere you want in that vertical context window and it will stay put when you let your finger off the mouse button.

But, you can't grab it and put in in the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar. The bookmark/folder will not stay. And this is the reason when it comes to linux Pale Moon, I went back to GTK2.

One last observation.

I also use linux Waterfox and linux Firefox and I think both of these browsers use GTK3. But I can move any folder on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar to where I want and it will stay where I want on the horizontal portion of the Bookmarks Toolbar in both Waterfox and Firefox.

And in closing, I use a mouse for both desktop tower computers and laptop computers. If I had to use the touchpad on a laptop with my fingers, if it took 30 seconds to do something by someone other than me who is used to using their fingers on a laptop's touchpad, it would easily take me about 3 minutes of time to do the exact same thing. Hence, my preference for a mouse when I use a laptop computer.