Basilisk vs. Pale Moon (warning: strong opinions inside)

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Basilisk vs. Pale Moon (warning: strong opinions inside)

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-04, 00:51

lost marbles wrote:
2022-01-03, 07:04
I personally chose basilisk over pale moon for its minimal esthetic and simplicity
Peking wrote:
2022-01-03, 21:41
I've seen people turn their noses up at Pale Moon just for having an "outdated" (classic) interface. Such people might like Basilisk.
Pale Moon on a fresh install is also pretty minimalistic (assuming you mean uncluttered), plus thanks to support for full theming you can make it look like any other browser you want (or use forked versions of beautiful original Firefox themes). The Australium full theme will make it look like Basilisk if you prefer. Or you can make it look like Chrome or Firefox Photon :sick:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Smokey20
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Basilisk EoL/potential takeover announcement

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2022-01-10, 09:26

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-04, 00:51
lost marbles wrote:
2022-01-03, 07:04
I personally chose basilisk over pale moon for its minimal esthetic and simplicity
Peking wrote:
2022-01-03, 21:41
I've seen people turn their noses up at Pale Moon just for having an "outdated" (classic) interface. Such people might like Basilisk.
Pale Moon on a fresh install is also pretty minimalistic (assuming you mean uncluttered), plus thanks to support for full theming you can make it look like any other browser you want (or use forked versions of beautiful original Firefox themes). The Australium full theme will make it look like Basilisk if you prefer. Or you can make it look like Chrome or Firefox Photon :sick:
The Australium theme has the hideous round "corners" and that is not how my Basilisk looks. It has square corners and tabs down the left side and is much like the tabs in the Mozilla Suite from about 2002 when I first began using tabbed browsing down the left side. I'm not about to give up tabbed browsing and I was really upset to learn Basilisk is being abandoned.

This will make some angry but if Moonchild needs to give up one of his browsers IMO it should have been Pale Moon. I used Pale Moon when it was new UNTIL Moonchild made Basilisk available. It is so superior to Pale Moon! It is also superior...way superior to Fx 91.4 ESR where I can't get rid of horizontal tabs in an extremely stupid place that cannot be moved and I also have tabs down the left side. Basilisk is still my default browser and NOTHING can replace it as even older Fx versions like 60.9 ESR are similar but lacking much that is in Basilisk. Perhaps, Pale Moon has evolved enough since I used it several years ago and with it now adding the must have extensions from Basilik, I would be ok with it.

I will just continue using Basilisk until its lack of ongoing development begins to hamper me. I'll use Edge for the few times I use a credit card online. I'll also check out current Pale Moon since it is now adding essential extensions and hopefully has dropped some stuff I didn't like when I had it several years ago. I have 25 extensions for Basilisk. I love all of them and cannot imagine not having them.

Basilisk has been the best browser I have used in 23 years of owning computers. I hope someone will take it over. It will be a sad day for the internet if that does not happen.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-10, 12:26

Smokey20 wrote:
2022-01-10, 09:26
This will make some angry
No, it only makes us laugh to even consider suggesting that a less customizable browser with no status bar and all the features that users detested about Firefox 52 including the moronic hamburger menu that has no place on a desktop - should be better than Pale Moon. Especially when you're so worried about rounded tabs that can be fixed with CSS as many have done.
Smokey20 wrote:
It is so superior to Pale Moon!
Gotta love how you firmly state your unsubstantiated opinion like incontrovertible fact.
Smokey20 wrote:
Perhaps, Pale Moon has evolved enough since I used it several years ago
And there you have it. Supreme confidence from a place of total ignorance. Dear Einstein, Pale Moon predates Basilisk and has always supported XUL based extensions.
And thanks to the efforts of a tiny handful, Pale Moon actually supports more extensions than Basilisk since there are several now that were created for the first time exclusively for Pale Moon, including 5 of mine.
Smokey20 wrote:
I have 25 extensions for Basilisk. I love all of them and cannot imagine not having them.
And I have 104 extensions here on PM - from Firefox ported ones to original ones (more of the latter, which is testament to the Pale Moon users who have helped port or independently develop these). So rest assured, you will easily find extensions for your workflow, chances are what you need already has been ported and is available on the addons page.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-01-14, 03:48

Moonbat, please, take this as gentle encouragement in how to make your life easier, become a happier person, and make the air here more pleasant for everyone...
>[Basilisk] is so superior to Pale Moon!
>love how you firmly state your unsubstantiated opinion like incontrovertible fact.
Just let the man have his opinion, eh? Everything everyone says like this should always be read with an implicit "for me" after it. If you agree he's only stating an opinion, then please don't go around telling him anything that sounds like "your opinion is wrong". That's just unnecessary, bad form, and distracts from the thread topic. Mayyybe if you see faulty assumptions or mis-understood / mis-interpreted facts, just post a more-accurate take, for the benefit of later readers, and allow the guy to wallow in not-knowing any better.

Providing a reference was good. Such guidance is more likely to be used if you simply sit back and let the guy's mind be open, instead of trying so hard to shut him down.

It's just - I wish for a less-insulting atmosphere here. While I see the info in your posts as useful, it's too often hard to find the info because of the surrounding attitude. It's possible to be supportive of "our" effort without being rude. Also possible to not-give ground when not appropriate. It's not about respecting the other correspondent, it's about respecting yerself.

I am also conflicted about the roadmaps for PM and Bas, yet hoping they both continue somehow, so that choice of browser remains mine.
Cheers

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-14, 04:30

Bilbo47 wrote:
2022-01-14, 03:48
Mayyybe if you see faulty assumptions or mis-understood / mis-interpreted facts, just post a more-accurate take, for the benefit of later readers,
Later readers like you who totally skipped over the rest of my reply in the hurry to craft a patronizing response? I pointed out that you can use a full theme to make PM resemble Basilisk, to which he responds with his 'superior' dismissal, then I explained why PM was better - but in an attitude typical over here these days, you couldn't be bloody bothered to read the whole reply before commenting.

Smokey20
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2022-01-16, 09:56

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-10, 12:26
Smokey20 wrote:
This will make some angry
No, it only makes us laugh to even consider suggesting that a less customizable browser with no status bar and all the features that users detested about Firefox 52 including the moronic hamburger menu that has no place on a desktop - should be better than Pale Moon. Especially when you're so worried about rounded tabs that can be fixed with CSS as many have done.
Smokey20 wrote:
It is so superior to Pale Moon!
Gotta love how you firmly state your unsubstantiated opinion like incontrovertible fact.
Smokey20 wrote:
Perhaps, Pale Moon has evolved enough since I used it several years ago
And there you have it. Supreme confidence from a place of total ignorance. Dear Einstein, Pale Moon predates Basilisk and has always supported XUL based extensions.
And thanks to the efforts of a tiny handful, Pale Moon actually supports more extensions than Basilisk since there are several now that were created for the first time exclusively for Pale Moon, including 5 of mine.
Smokey20 wrote:
I have 25 extensions for Basilisk. I love all of them and cannot imagine not having them.
And I have 104 extensions here on PM - from Firefox ported ones to original ones (more of the latter, which is testament to the Pale Moon users who have helped port or independently develop these). So rest assured, you will easily find extensions for your workflow, chances are what you need already has been ported and is available on the addons page.
Ohh....exactly why i want little to do with Pale Moon as it has always had rude, rabid supporters and if there are normal supporters they stay away from this forum. If something has to be supported in a rude manner and by attacking a person who maybe isn't enthusiastic about Pale Moon...well ....I have never seen us lovers of Basilisk attack you Pale Moon users like you just attacked me.

I bet I used Pale Moon before you did. Of course, it has always supported XUL extensions but not the ones I consider must have...those are supported in Basilisk and Basilisk has never attracted pompous users like yourself...at least if there are some they don't spout off in the Basilisk forum here. But then Basilisk users have no need for this forum as Basilisk is extremely easy to use, always works perfectly.

As for extensions, among the first in my list of extensions are two I can't find for Pale Moon. I didn't bother looking further in my Basilisk extension list for ones that are not listed for Pale Moon but I am sure there are more than two as this was a main reason I left Pale Moon for Basilisk (plus, I like testing new stuff so when Moonchild announced it and characterized it as a test browser/bed I was intrigued and immediately got it). Basilisk is quite different from Pale Moon and far more like Fx which I also use all the time (two different versions) than Pale Moon. This is a major reason for liking it as I have used Fx from before it was Fx. My default browser from when I first got a computer in 1999 was Mozilla Suite and then it and SeaMonkey and Fx when they came out (well I was also a beta tester for Fx when it was Phoenix and even before that). I think folks who prefer Pale Moon are not big users and admirers of Mozilla products which is ok. I still use Fx 60.9 ESR as it supports most extensions I love and the GUI is still nice in it. But Basilisk supports all extensions I want and has a nice GUI. Pale Moon does not. Neither do recent versions of Fx so Basilisk is just right for me. Obviously, it is not right for you which is ok. However, you should not attack folks who find Basilisk to suit them just because it doesn't suit you.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basilisk vs. Pale Moon (warning: strong opinions inside)

Unread post by Admin » 2022-01-16, 10:11

For the sake of keeping the EoL announcement thread a bit more focused, these posts were split out. Please do keep your mud-flinging contained when you can.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-01-19, 22:49

I am firmly of the belief that one of the main reasons to use Pale Moon is for the classic UI abilities, including being able to make it look like Netscape Navigator. Basilisk does not nearly have the amount of flexibility, and the upside of it as Moonchild said in a previous thread, such as DRM and WebRTC, do not function because of actual monopolies. Pale Moon should be the browser going forward.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-19, 23:57

Baloo wrote:
2022-01-19, 22:49
such as DRM and WebRTC
I originally installed it so I could watch Netflix/Amazon Prime without having to download Firefox. After the Widevine got busted, I was forced to switch to Waterfox Classic. Now I've given up watching streaming on my laptop altogether in favor of an Android TV. There really is no reason to recommend Basilisk over Pale Moon now that the DRM is broken, and my suggesting that one can always theme and style PM to resemble Basilisk is what led to this opinionated thread being split off :silent: