Scroll Anchoring

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Scroll Anchoring

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-10-29, 14:48

Apparently a behavior (or misbehavior) called scroll anchoring appeared on Basilisk the past day or two. Basilisk's very smooth scrolling through web pages has been a real positive. I have experienced this regularly on other browsers and it is very annoying.

Simply stated, scroll anchoring, or not anchoring, occurs when scrolling down a page and suddenly the display jumps downward a screen or two. Then one has to scroll back up to continue reading where the jerk repositioning occurred.

I normally have Smooth Scrolling checked in my browser's Settings/Preferences, but this does not always seem to prevent "screen jump aheads." I have also browsed through About:Config, but beyond the broad and general Smooth Scrolling entry there are numerous other scrolling attributes.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Scroll Anchoring

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-10-29, 15:18

Some time ago I experienced something similar with a Chrome-based browser.
I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I experienced the web page suddenly scrolling a larger portion of screen than the rest of the page.
It's most likely something done by the website to be "smart" or "usable" or something, so not much we can do about it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-29, 20:08

vannilla wrote:
2021-10-29, 15:18
It's most likely something done by the website to be "smart" or "usable" or something, so not much we can do about it.
It's exactly this: the website trying to be smart about scroll positioning with javascript and as a result conflicting with normal scrolling behaviour handled by the web client.
I suggest you contact whatever site it is you experienced this on and complain.

Also, I don't believe that "scroll anchoring" is the correct term. Unless it has been redefined since last I encountered it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-10-31, 02:36

Scroll Anchoring is a correct term per Firefox, Microsoft, chrome... but then it also seems to refer to scroll smoothing. Nonetheless, there can be 10+ scroll settings in the Config or Chrome settings, so not somewhere I want to venture tooling around.