Saved Logins not working when using non-relative profile directory

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

nubok

Saved Logins not working when using non-relative profile directory

Unread post by nubok » 2021-08-07, 12:46

For the past couple of days, Basilisk has stopped offering to auto-fill login information. For some reason it can't read the logins.json file or the key3/key4.db files to get the information. I was still getting offered to have my login credentials remember for sites, but as far as I'm aware the prompt didn't actually do anything, and would ask every time I logged into a site.

I got it working again by creating a new profile in the relative directory: AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\Profiles, and then moved over some files from my old profile to get most of the functionality back (extensions/bookmarks/history/etc.). I figured the issue was a corrupted logins.json and key3/4.db, so I tried moving the profile back to the directory I've been using for the past few years and updated the profile.ini, but the problem returned. I moved it back to the relative directory and changing the profiles.ini to reference this location and it started working again.

Anyone know why I suddenly can't use saved logins while using an alternate profile directory? I'd prefer to keep my profile on my external hard drive in case anything happened PC, but the convenience of not having to enter in login info every single time I go to a site is hard to give up.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Saved Logins not working when using non-relative profile directory

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-07, 14:32

Because you have no idea what you are doing and now that you have admitted to mangling profiles no one here will help you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-07, 19:17

Only one hint:
Did you remember to also set the IsRelative entry properly in profiles.ini and format the path correctly?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nubok

Unread post by nubok » 2021-08-11, 14:06

yeah, I did. Sorry I didn't mention that. I don't think that was the problem.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-13, 18:22

nubok wrote:
2021-08-11, 14:06
yeah, I did. ... I don't think that was the problem.
Just to doublecheck, you might take a look at:

Profiles.ini file
and
Moving your profile folder.

nubok

Unread post by nubok » 2021-08-14, 09:45

I read through the documentation to see if I missed any thing, and it doesn't seem like I'm doing anything wrong. But on a whim I tried moving my profile back to the external drive using same method as always, same file path, same isRelative set to false. Except now, for some reason, logins are correctly being remembered and offered on login screens with no explanation as to why they were not working before.

And just to be clear, my issue was that proper reading of the logins.json stopped working one day without any alterations to my profile beforehand and which I had been keeping on an external drive for years now. Nothing else was broken. The profile was being properly read in the new location. Only the logins.json or possibly the key4.db file was the only thing not being properly read. It just stopped working one day. It only started working again when moving the profile to the default directory. Previous attempts to move the directory back to it's previous folder causes either of these files to stop being read once again. I always made sure isRelative was set to false when using an alternative path every time. This is not the first time I've set profiles outside of the default folder. I only mentioned it here because it was the only thing that seemed to have any effect on the issue I was having and believed it would help point to what the actual issue was. Just so everyone's on the same page.

So the issue seems to have resolved itself as mysteriously as it started. But regardless, thank you for your help, coffeebreak. I appreciate the offered assistance.

And thanks to everyone else for, uh...acknowledging my existence?