Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-02, 13:25

BenFenner wrote:
2021-08-02, 00:58
So I just got back from vacation and got on Facebook for the first time in ~4 days. I typed a comment successfully without any of the normal issues.
I'd actually even forgotten how bad it had gotten for a minute until I realized it "just worked".
Here's hoping they finally fixed all of their issues and it could be smooth sailing here for a bit.

(Or this could be one-off. We'll see, but I am hopeful.)
Mixed results on this end. I can directly make an original post. However, I can't reply unless I copy and paste into the comment box. I can edit a post with no problem.

On other fronts, the past month has been nearly futile in accessing many websites without the forever spinning hour glass... so I have been increasingly turning to Firefox, experimenting with Vivaldi and sometimes using Chrome or Edge.

jshawley
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by jshawley » 2021-08-08, 20:07

Ahhh. So THIS is where all the weird FB typing people have congregated! :D

I've found if I type nothing happens, except the cursor remains in place flashing. However, if I insert an emoji, then place the cursor immediately to the right of the emoji, I can type, unless I back space. It'll backspace and remove the errant character, but then the cursor jumps to the immediate left of the emoji. Weird. Weird indeed.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-15, 02:11

Yes, that is the latest weird behavior in FB. But so many mainstream sites are becoming semi-functional in so many different ways that it is becoming a lost cause. :cry:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-15, 08:50

rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-15, 02:11
But so many mainstream sites are becoming semi-functional in so many different ways that it is becoming a lost cause. :cry:
If that was the case then I wouldn't be able to use Pale Moon as my daily driver, with how many sites I tend to visit every day for research, work and entertainment.
But really, if you are unhappy with how it performs because you can't live with having to use a secondary browser for some sites that consistently misbehave and that have unresponsive webmasters, then by all means, use something else that makes you happy and isn't a "lost cause". But please don't continue to use something that makes you unhappy and then unload that negativity on us. We do our best.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-08-16, 18:19

This is how I read it:
rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-15, 02:11
But so many mainstream sites are becoming semi-functional in so many different ways [on all browsers] that [the Internet] is becoming a lost cause. :cry:
8-)

As for my previous statement about all being well for Facebook comments. That lasted 2 days at most. They are still behaving horribly now, with a different horrible behavior each few days. I'm still waiting for FB to get this solved, and the dust settle, before I post again about it here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-16, 20:42

Do you honestly believe Facebook is going to solve issues for our now-unique engine?

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-17, 15:44

How do I get this US gov site to run?
https://fire.airnow.gov/#

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-17, 18:05

rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-17, 15:44
How do I get this US gov site to run?
https://fire.airnow.gov/#
I dunno.. How do you create a new thread in the proper board for an unrelated topic?

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-19, 01:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-08-16, 20:42
Do you honestly believe Facebook is going to solve issues for our now-unique engine?
Now THAT is a good question! There is even a universality to it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-19, 09:06

rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-19, 01:19
Now THAT is a good question!
Actually, it isn't.
Facebook should be solving the issues they themselves created for changes on their site that weren't necessary and did not significantly change the way users interact with it. If their own changes reduce browser compatibility then it would be their responsibility to also solve it, like it is the responsibility of any webmaster or "web programmer".
"Uniqueness" of Goanna (as opposed to the non-unique Blink and Gecko, you mean? What makes us unique? Are there multiple Blinks and Geckos out there making them non-unique?) should not be a factor, here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-08-19, 10:13

Don't forget fb also has some form of content surveillance going on with typed comments etc so as to filter out any form of racism or hate speech..Group admins on that site can also report censored posts but i don't believe this is the case as ALL of your comments are scrutinised in some form by an algorotihm,
Don't know if it relevant to what is happening here though.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-19, 10:15

That kind of check doesn't need to happen while users are actually typing. So no, I don't think that's at all relevant here.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-19, 19:10

New Tobin, you have not been reprimanded by The Master, jaja. Bad question!
Moonchild wrote:
2021-08-19, 09:06
rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-19, 01:19
Now THAT is a good question!
Actually, it isn't.
Facebook should be solving the issues they themselves created for changes on their site that weren't necessary and did not significantly change the way users interact with it. If their own changes reduce browser compatibility then it would be their responsibility to also solve it, like it is the responsibility of any webmaster or "web programmer".
"Uniqueness" of Goanna (as opposed to the non-unique Blink and Gecko, you mean? What makes us unique? Are there multiple Blinks and Geckos out there making them non-unique?) should not be a factor, here.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-19, 19:12

Maybe you Facebook users should just learn to type backwards so that Facebook types forwards.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-19, 19:34

2021-08-19, 19:12
Maybe you Facebook users should just learn to type backwards so that Facebook types forwards.
We considered that but figured all that would achieve is reverse backwards. Shame it is so challenging to be social on Basilisk!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-19, 20:56

rodndtube wrote:
2021-08-19, 19:34
Shame it is so challenging to be social on Basilisk!
You are calling Facebook 'social'? :wtf: ;-)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-19, 21:51

Well it sure is a Publisher of Media.. Social.. psychological manipulation maybe.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-08-20, 01:15

2021-08-19, 21:51
Well it sure is a Publisher of Media.. Social.. psychological manipulation maybe.
Maybe weak minds can be bent on Facebook, but for others it is a social medium. And for many folks it is their collective friends that publish the media and FB is the medium for a wide audience whereas forums are for focused audiences. Believe me, newgroups, even without media (plain text), could manipulate some minds.

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2021-09-29, 08:07

this keeps happening still, on palemoon. anyone got any solution?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-29, 08:32

Use Chrome like everyone else.