Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-23, 14:03

bigjohns wrote:
2021-06-23, 13:34
hope this gets fixed somehow!
see all my previous replies in this thread as to why this can't "magically" be fixed by us. I wish I could just wave a wand and utter "browser repairum!" but that's not how it works in the real world.

For anything like this to be fixed it requires:
  1. To know why this behaviour happens. Both in general as in what library or what not causes this and in detail exactly what behaviour is different that causes the library or framework to exhibit this strange and unwanted behaviour on UXP.
  2. Analysis of the different behaviour to determine if it is actually a bug on our end or a bug in the scripting (e.g. by targeting specific implementation quirks of other engines).
  3. Finding either a workaround or implementation solution that doesn't break anything else.
We're still stuck at (1) because it's not reasonably possible for us on our end to debug megabytes of minified and obfuscated JavaScript code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-23, 15:56

bigjohns wrote:
2021-06-23, 13:34
Happens a bit on ETSY too - every few seconds of typing the cursor moves backward a spot.
If you want to raise an issue about the cursor moving backwards on Etsy, please start a new thread.

- 1. Your issue is different from the one raised in this thread. Please re-read the posts.
This thread does not complain that cursors move backwards.
Rather, it's that typed (Facebook) comments appear Right to Left (when they should be Left to Right).

- 2. They are different websites. Etsy isn't Facebook, and you can't just assume that problems on different sites that superficially strike you as the same actually are.

If you experience your problem while using Basilisk, you can start the thread in this board.
But if it's while using Pale Moon, please start the thread in the Web Compatibility Support subforum. Be sure to include the website's name in the thread title, and provide a link and description of the problem, plus information about your system.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-23, 16:07

Incorrect, unless it is specifically about Basilisk additions like WebRTC or EME (widevine/drm) then any Web Compatibility report should be in the Web Compatibility board. It is just assumed the user is using Pale Moon unless otherwise stated so mention Basilisk just to be sure.

The reason Web Compatibility board is under Pale Moon's category is because Pale Moon is the most used UXP Web Client but aside from those two Basilisk specifics content rendering and web feature capabilities are the same across the board.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-06-23, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-23, 16:35

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-06-23, 15:56
This thread does not complain that cursors move backwards.
Rather, it's that typed (Facebook) comments appear Right to Left (when they should be Left to Right).
Well this thread might not mention the cursor moving backwards, but it should. As do the other two duplicate threads linked in this one. (Technically since this thread is about Basalisk, I guess those other threads that include Pale Moon as the browser are not duplicates.)

The reason the text types backwards on Facebook comments is because the cursor moves to the beginning of the line after each key press. This was explained well in my (duplicate) version of this thread.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-23, 18:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-23, 16:07
unless it is specifically about Basilisk additions like WebRTC or EME (widevine/drm) then any Web Compatibility report should be in the Web Compatibility board. It is just assumed the user is using Pale Moon unless otherwise stated so mention Basilisk just to be sure.
I didn't realize that, thanks for telling me.

If you don't mind a suggestion...
This may not be obvious to everyone (as it wasn't to me), and could be helpful if a notice saying what you said here went up at the top of the Basilisk board - and also on the Basilisk website with the other "support/contact" information.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-23, 19:30

Why not just link to my post. There shouldn't be enough instances that anything more would be required.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-23, 19:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-23, 19:30
There shouldn't be enough instances that anything more would be required.
That may be overly optimistic.

If what you posted above states a policy for what is expected of users, it really would be a good idea, IMO, for those who decided the policy to post it in the places where users would expect to find it. Just a thought.

TerryW
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by TerryW » 2021-06-26, 00:00

UPDATE

My daughter did a system restore and can now type facebook comments normally. Remember, she was having this problem in Firefox.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-06-26, 12:22

BenFenner is correct in stating the behavior.

I just tested commenting in FB and it is partially fixed... now the cursor jumps to the beginning of a word after a few words are entered!

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-26, 19:03

rodndtube wrote:
2021-06-26, 12:22
BenFenner is correct in stating the behavior.

I just tested commenting in FB and it is partially fixed... now the cursor jumps to the beginning of a word after a few words are entered!
I've noticed this recently too, But I assume it is happening now because the script lags. Once the script takes hold, the cursor always returns to that spot in the text after ever key press. Sometimes I can type nearly a full sentence before the script takes hold...

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-28, 15:54

I'm still reporting this issue to Facebook every day or so.
They seem to be working on it, as behavior keeps changing.

Now, the latest, is that typing a comment will work until the script takes hold, and then behavior is poor, but if you wait and wait and wait, eventually things calm down after ~60 seconds or so and commenting works as expected, including (mercifully) tagging people and groups.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-28, 18:45

Why ate you obsessed with running big tech services in Pale Moon. You have no idea if they intend to fix it for us or are just fucking with you personally.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-28, 19:54

Crazily enough, I've noticed a new behavior.
When typing mid-word and the spelling error red squiggly line appears, that seems to trigger the cursor to jump backwards. It isn't the only trigger, but it does seem to be a trigger in some weird way.
The plot thickens...

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-07-01, 22:13

They are clearly still working on it.

It's typing double for me now...

A full sentence comes out as two identically formed full sentences. :lol:

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-07-02, 02:06

I experimented... types double words, but upon pressing ENTER presents as single words. Progress?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-07-02, 11:52

I've been reporting the problem to Facebook every day or so, with new info and behavior description as it progresses. I suggest we all dot he same since they seem to be working on it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-02, 11:54

Or as I think I might have said, are fucking with us on a consistent basis just to see how long and how many people keep reporting to them with no plan to ever actually fix it. Facebook is confirmed to be THAT fuckin petty.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-02, 23:11

There's a reason I stopped using it and withdrew Pale Moon's presence from the FB sphere as a whole.
And made sure to have them WIPE all my data.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-08-02, 00:58

So I just got back from vacation and got on Facebook for the first time in ~4 days. I typed a comment successfully without any of the normal issues.
I'd actually even forgotten how bad it had gotten for a minute until I realized it "just worked".
Here's hoping they finally fixed all of their issues and it could be smooth sailing here for a bit.

(Or this could be one-off. We'll see, but I am hopeful.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-02, 06:07

Everyone is subject to being treated as if they are merely a labrat on a number of fronts on planetary scale.