Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Facebook Comments Type Backwards

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-09-29, 08:32

porotikos wrote:
2021-09-29, 08:07
this keeps happening still, on palemoon. anyone got any solution?
I've found that on some websites that do the backwards typing thing, I can click outside the textbox to stop the blinking text cursor, then click back in to get it typing forwards again. That usually works for me, but your mileage may vary.

Other than that... you'll probably have to use a different browser for Facebook.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-10-29, 14:24

Just a friendly update:
Maybe one can make an original post in Facebook but the ability to reply or comment to a post is GONE. One can no longer type nor even paste text into a comment space.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-29, 21:53

Just a friendly reminder. We can't do anything about Facebook's javascript being problematic. It's many megabytes of minified code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-10-30, 01:04

Acknowledged. FB really won't load completely anymore either. Over and out.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-10-31, 05:39

I am not ashamed to admit that I have a facebook account, nor do I actually like the service that much. I do post on it nearly daily, and follow long distance friends and family. I haven't had nearly as much trouble as some when replying to comments, but that's because I rarely reply to another post. When I read other posts and write and read messages, I still use my primary browser which is Pale Moon of course. When I wanted to reply to a post, I would just type the reply text in Notepad++ and then do a copy/paste. I have found though that using mbasic.facebook with Pale Moon allows me to reply to a post while I'm still 'in' Pale Moon. The mbasic. UI is more aesthetically pleasing (to me anyway) as well. The Facebook Purity script run with Greasemonkey helps too.. This may work in the m.facebook interface also, but I don't know for sure.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

GREGBKK
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by GREGBKK » 2021-11-02, 03:44

Just reporting in with very similar issues. In my case, sometimes trying to type in a reply in FB simply does nothing. YT is similar. In some cases, clicking outside the reply box, then clicking inside it again will work, in other cases, not. I type the reply elsewhere and then paste it in but it's frustrating, especially for someone like me who makes a whole lot of typos. I realize this is FB as the offender, not PM.

I do admire the grandeur of those who believe they are important enough for FB to mess with them personally, rather than just having clunky code.

DavidGH

Unread post by DavidGH » 2021-11-20, 14:49

(Though I'm using standard Palemoon, not Basilisk, IIUC this is the accepted thread for Facebook-comment issues...)

Commenting on Facebook was failing for me too, using 29.4.2 and earlier. Prepending an emoji, as suggested in this thread, was a weird but successful workaround. However a few days ago that stopped working too.

Yesterday I noticed this different fix for a similar problem affecting Youtube: pretending to be using android. I've found it works (at least at the moment) on Facebook too. Setting the useragent to Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5) was successful, but an easier alternative is to use the url https://m.facebook.com/ instead of the normal http://www.facebook.com/.

No doubt Facebook's next 'improvement' will make this workaround fail too.

disconect
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by disconect » 2021-11-26, 21:23

I have a similar problem but found this thread first so am not creating a new thread, since the answer would be the same:
Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-05, 22:56
Facebook uses a javascript-heavy editable-html element for writing replies (which is so they can measure exactly how you type, among other things) and not any sort of standard input element, so it is caused by something in their megabytes of JS they use that the letters are inserted out-of-order. There is literally nothing we can do to even analyse it, let alone guess at how to satisfy their scripting so it works as it should.
For me I usually can't type in the comment field at all. If I type it elsewhere and paste it in, that often works but not always. If I reply to a comment so that it automatically prepends the username, then I will be able to type in the comment field itself. BUT, if I hit backspace it will automatically move the cursor to just before the tagged name of the person I'm replying to, so it is very easy to delete that instead of what I actually intended to delete.

The obvious best workaround is to stop using Facebook. I was doing really well with that for a good six weeks or so, but have slowly started back into it *sigh*

I've not experienced this issue on any other website.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-11-27, 13:53

When there is already text in the box, typing works a bit better. I'll often have to click in the text box, and then paste (Ctrl + V) very quickly after clicking to get text to show up. Often I'm doing this 5-10 times in succession, extremely quickly. Once something pastes, I can type with major annoyances still in place.
Obviously Facebook's buggy-as-hell JS isn't running when creating a new post, or using messenger, so those go smoothly.
I've reported the issue to Facebook once a week or so for the past several months. Clearly they don't care.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-12-01, 13:55

DavidGH wrote:
2021-11-20, 14:49
, but an easier alternative is to use the url https://m.facebook.com/ instead of the normal https://www.facebook.com/.
I tend to use the mbasic subdomain instead of the mobile one. The m. and mbasic. are I wouldn't say 'easier' but 'working' alts. No 'work arounds' needed, and aesthetically much more bearable for me.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-01-12, 16:48

The cancer has spread to the messenger text box. I've reported it to Facebook. This is not the progress I was hoping for, but sadly the progress I expected. :thumbdown:

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-02-22, 21:19

The real way to compose some text for posting from a desktop computer is to use a separate offline editor program with Save-As functionality, spell check, etc. Then Copy+Paste into any website. Internet connectivity can and does drop out at any time, often losing whatever was in the site's edit box.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2022-02-22, 23:47

As I commented on Fri Oct 29, 2021, pasting text did not work as well. Kind of a moot issue now with Basilisk put to the grave. Vivaldi works nicely for me.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-02-23, 07:53

If anyone is interested.
I use the mobile version of facebook in palemoon and it works perfectly and typing is all good and correct plus it removes some of the heavy javascript based stuff.

plain version of facebook but it works.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-02-23, 19:08

Moonraker wrote:
2022-02-23, 07:53
I use the mobile version of facebook in palemoon and it works perfectly..
I have found m.facebook to work fine, and also mbasic.facebook which is even 'plainer'.