Better than firefox

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

zombo

Better than firefox

Unread post by zombo » 2021-04-30, 02:22

Hey folks, I have never been a microsoft or google fan. i stopped using yahoo years ago and started using firefox but then they made a deal with the devil (google), I think in 2005 and i did not like that so i started using firefox based browsers instead. i use ice cat on my phone and am looking for a solid alternative to ff on my pc. Firefox just seems to be getting worse and worse so i do not expect to go back to them but I have read positive things about basilisk.

Most importantly to me is having a browser that is secure and respects my privacy. I do not appreciate telemetry, data harvesting/sharing/selling, location tracking or any of the other things google,microsoft and now I am sure mozilla engages in. Also, before I try any browser based on ff code, I want to make sure all of the undesirable aspects have been removed. One of the most recent things that concerns me about ff is that they intend to actively censor users at the browser level, according to comments by mozilla ceo mitchell baker. Here are a few snippets from his rant:

"Mozilla, developer of the Firefox internet browser, has argued that more must be done to keep “bad actors” out of cyberspace.

We need solutions that don’t start after untold damage has been done. Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms,

The group proposed a number of measures to help protect the internet from verboten views. Internet ads should list who paid for them, how much they are paying, and who is being targeted."

Also recently ff released an extension that automatically censors hate speech.

I am definitely interested in the always beta basilisk as long as the undesirable baggage added by ff has been scrubbed. Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Better than firefox

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-30, 02:31

It hasn't been scrubbed. It has never been included in the first place :P

IMHO it's not a browser's task to decide what agenda is "right" and what needs to be "verboten" or not. That is up to the user to decide for themselves.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-04-30, 03:08

zombo wrote:
2021-04-30, 02:22
One of the most recent things that concerns me about ff is that they intend to actively censor users at the browser level, according to comments by mozilla ceo mitchell baker. Here are a few snippets from his
Off-topic:
Mitchell Baker is "not" a he. MB is a "she" (female) who's main expertise is being a lawyer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Baker
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

zombo

Unread post by zombo » 2021-04-30, 03:54

Moonchild wrote:
2021-04-30, 02:31
It hasn't been scrubbed. It has never been included in the first place :P

IMHO it's not a browser's task to decide what agenda is "right" and what needs to be "verboten" or not. That is up to the user to decide for themselves.
Thank you Moonchild, much appreciated fast response. @Night Wing, thanks for the information on baker. Being a lawyer explains a lot. Also, privacy focused search engines seem to be getting harder to find. i used ddg for years until they developed bad practices. Looking like Searx or maybe Metager are our only options after startpage sold out. Any recommendations?