Dark Reader like extension for Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

djgpp

Dark Reader like extension for Basilisk?

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-17, 16:09

Currently using this browser, switched from Pale Moon. I'm a lot younger that most of you so I find myself to be more familiar with the appearance of Basilisk. JustOff's Advanced Night Mode can't be installed on Basilisk. So which extension I should use for this purprose?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Dark Reader like extension for Basilisk?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-04-17, 16:31

If you can't find anything here, I think you're out of luck. Maybe an old pre-Webextension Firefox add on will work??

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-04-17, 17:05

https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/b ... /README.md
Might be some on there or the internet archive.org has them.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

djgpp

Unread post by djgpp » 2021-04-21, 13:44

ron_1 wrote:
2021-04-17, 16:31
If you can't find anything here, I think you're out of luck.
This is the first place I looked at. Yes, nothing at all. The screen is too bright for me.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-04-22, 05:51

Interestingly enough, I tried to ask justoff a while back to do this, but he said no.

This is an extension, but it only works for palemoon,

https://github.com/JustOff/advanced-night-mode

see why below:

https://github.com/JustOff/advanced-nig ... /issues/14

Macca

Unread post by Macca » 2021-04-25, 04:55

Seems you guys missed the Dark Background and Light Text extension on the CA Archive, which is the "original" extension Advanced Night Mode was forked from.

I suppose you could also just modify ANM's install.rdf to add Basilisk. I'm currently using 1.0.10b9 due to laziness (haven't bothered to check the changes on the "latest" versions, outside the automatic updates from Github). I have yet to see any memory usage and performance issues when compared to its usage in Pale Moon too.

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2021-04-25, 15:08

Dark Background and Light Text 0.5.13 on CAA was the last pure XUL version (aside from the SeaMonkey-only spinoff) before hybridization with web extensions code and subsequent final conversion to web extension-only.
Attachments
dark_background_and_light_text-0.5.13-an+fx+sm.xpi
(57.32 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-25, 21:09

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-04-22, 05:51
I tried to ask justoff a while back to do this, but he said no.
Well by his most recent reasoning cited in an editorial it sounds like a ethical reason to fork it. Wouldn't want to be a thief after all.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-26, 00:14

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-04-22, 05:51
I tried to ask justoff a while back to do this, but he said no.
Says why here:
https://github.com/JustOff/advanced-night-mode/issues/14#issuecomment-580703054

As a sidenote, the extension is jetpack - so if someone wanted to fork it for the current XUL environment I think they would be asked to rewrite it, as overlay.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-26, 00:43

TRUE but I'd allow it under special dispensation if someone wants to take up the jetpack form. I'd have to submit it for you and re-assign ownership. I am not gonna punish the userbase or a developer willing to help clean up after JustOff's mess.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-02, 07:28

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-04-26, 00:43
TRUE but I'd allow it under special dispensation if someone wants to take up the jetpack form. I'd have to submit it for you and re-assign ownership. I am not gonna punish the userbase or a developer willing to help clean up after JustOff's mess.

EDIT: saw this thread, and I understand your point of view a bit more:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=26678

going against the spirit of open source, really? :/

Why did he actually act like forking his addons was not okay?

I wonder then about ublock origin... I know he volunteers on it, and it is not his, but he still works on it, I hope someone else maintains it if he stops doing so.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-02, 14:11

The most likely explanation is if JustOff can't have primary control or priority influence over Pale Moon and UXP he is going to destroy or subvert it anyway he can.

He is the type where burned bridges are only the start. He wants scortched earth in the long term but will continue to glory whore in the meantime.

Of course this is in perfect alignment with those sqatting on the project name on the Anti-Pale Moon Subreddit where he can hold sway as their messiah. Though, if JustOff finds something better he will abandon them in hot second and/or betray them if it suits his goals.

He is stunningly treacherous but also notoriously unreliable and all together too predictable. Sure is a shame that he uses his abilities for evil. A very real dark mirror for my self of what I could have been if things some years ago had unfolded somewhat differently. A choice made and another not made.

It is an interesting study.

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2021-05-02, 15:04

That is very wild, and just plain sad...

Justoff's choices, I mean... I always suspected you had a good heart, I don't know what happened to you, but it least, you use your gifts and time for good.

Abrasive, or not, you mean well.

I am of course glad you didn't become like him.

I myself nearly became completely consumed with pride. It scares me to think of how close I came...

Also, was filled with lots of wrath too for a while

That being said, I am glad I didn't find palemoon till I was ready. I am sure you guys would have had me ip banned for life if we had met ten years ago.

And if you think that's a joke, trust me, its not. That rageful moment I had once here, used to be my norm... back then.

Anywho, appreciate you sharing your thoughts.