SVG Icon Does Not Display in Bookmarks Toolbar

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

SVG Icon Does Not Display in Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-27, 12:33

This is a kind of oddity and certainly not a deal breaker at this point. But it would be useful to see the website's icon in the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Basilisk and Windows are using latest updates, Win10 Pro 64bit. As tests, the Tab copied to the Toolbar with icon showing in Firefox and Edge. A web snip is shown below. Link in question is here: https://surf-systems.com/
GryptaLite - Basilisk.png
GryptaLite - Basilisk.png (19.06 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: SVG Icon Does Not Display in Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-27, 14:12

Why does anyone think you can just supply a vector image as a favicon? The only reason it displays in the tab is as a side effect of how tabs happen to be drawn.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-27, 14:54

My only observation is that it appears "bookmarks" are becoming out-of-fashion in web browsers as tabs become more popular as well as tab pages. And why not just use a search engine instead of a bookmark link. Very annoying to me!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-03-28, 11:46

@ rodndtube

I never use tabs. The reason is below.

I have "about" 750 bookmarks and those are listed in 31 main folders in my Bookmarks Toolbar and in those 31 folders, I have 57 sub folders. Of the 750 bookmarks, I visit about 65 bookmarks (sites) everyday along with the various "pages" in those 65 sites.

If I have to place every page and their respected pages of those 65 sites I visit everyday as a "tab" or a "tab page", my linux Pale Moon or Basilisk would look like a "disorganized mess". Basically, a "cluster f--k".

For people like you to suggest I use what you like (tabs, tab pages) and not what I like (bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar)..........this is what annoys me. If you don't like bookmarks (the Bookmarks Toolbar), then don't use it.

Pale Moon and Basilisk gives it's users a choice to use tabs or bookmarks as they see fit and I like "choices". And I would not like........no, as I think of it, I would hate to see the Bookmarks Toolbar being removed for Pale Moon and Basilisk because you consider bookmarks to be......old fashioned in a browser.
Off-topic:
As for being "old fashioned", let me digress.

When I was a teenager a long time ago, I had to buy my first dress suit in 1968 which included a pair of dress shoes for high school graduation. I chose one of those "new" fancy Guchi style of dress shoes which was the current rage (popular) back then. Those shoes looked great on me. However, they were uncomfortable to wear. I hated them. I bought a second pair of dress shoes from a different shoe designer. They also looked great. But, they were uncomfortable to wear also.

So I decided the current rage/popularity in "dress shoe looks" was not for me. I decided "comfort" was more important than popularity. So I bought a nice (and cheaper) pair of shiny black colored "penny loafers" for my dress shoes. They were so very comfortable to wear. Like wearing soft slippers. In fact, I started to wear them everyday. I wore them in college too. I took a lot of ribbing from my friends about my penny loafers who were into "popularity". But the ribbing did not faze me.

When those penny loafers wore out, I bought another pair of new penny loafers and this is what I wore for my first permanent job after college. I wore those shoes out too. I kept on buying penny loafers because they were so comfortable and I still wear them today and this covers a span of 53 years now (and counting). The only thing I changed about my penny loafers, in my closet I have a few pairs in black color and a few pairs in brown color.

To paraphrase and make my point a second time, sometimes "old fashioned" in conjunction with bookmarks (and pardon my pun) "trumps" the latest rage in browsers with regards to tabs and "popularity".................for people like me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-28, 17:28

Night Wing, you misread me on my preferences and the basic topic of the thread... if all websites used a bookmark SVG instead of ICO or JPG format, my bookmarks would all look like the one in my original post, a blank icon and would necessitate text for differentiation. So that was just an observation and not a preference. And one only install a Firefox or Edge or Chrome to see all the Home Page Tab Pages they push.

Like you, I am bookmark-oriented, including nested bookmarks, and that is one area that Basilisk (and probably Pale Moon) seem to have all other browsers beat. I was pondering the observation that the browsing world is becoming less bookmark-oriented and more tab-oriented, partly because so many browsers have Add-ons/Extensions that promote use of hundreds of tabs open at one time.

My frustration, not being a programmer, is not having an easy, effective Add-On/Extension -or- core browser capability, to modify a bookmark or bookmark folder using a basic click and change, as it used to be not so long ago. Nowadays, I use an Add-On, Bookmarks Folder Images, but it is not a very intuitive process.
Night Wing wrote:
2021-03-28, 11:46
@ rodndtube

I never use tabs. The reason is below.

I have "about" 750 bookmarks and those are listed in 31 main folders in my Bookmarks Toolbar and in those 31 folders, I have 57 sub folders. Of the 750 bookmarks, I visit about 65 bookmarks (sites) everyday along with the various "pages" in those 65 sites.

If I have to place every page and their respected pages of those 65 sites I visit everyday as a "tab" or a "tab page", my linux Pale Moon or Basilisk would look like a "disorganized mess". Basically, a "cluster f--k".

For people like you to suggest I use what you like (tabs, tab pages) and not what I like (bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar)..........this is what annoys me. If you don't like bookmarks (the Bookmarks Toolbar), then don't use it.

Pale Moon and Basilisk gives it's users a choice to use tabs or bookmarks as they see fit and I like "choices". And I would not like........no, as I think of it, I would hate to see the Bookmarks Toolbar being removed for Pale Moon and Basilisk because you consider bookmarks to be......old fashioned in a browser.
Off-topic:
As for being "old fashioned", let me digress.

When I was a teenager a long time ago, I had to buy my first dress suit in 1968 which included a pair of dress shoes for high school graduation. I chose one of those "new" fancy Guchi style of dress shoes which was the current rage (popular) back then. Those shoes looked great on me. However, they were uncomfortable to wear. I hated them. I bought a second pair of dress shoes from a different shoe designer. They also looked great. But, they were uncomfortable to wear also.

So I decided the current rage/popularity in "dress shoe looks" was not for me. I decided "comfort" was more important than popularity. So I bought a nice (and cheaper) pair of shiny black colored "penny loafers" for my dress shoes. They were so very comfortable to wear. Like wearing soft slippers. In fact, I started to wear them everyday. I wore them in college too. I took a lot of ribbing from my friends about my penny loafers who were into "popularity". But the ribbing did not faze me.

When those penny loafers wore out, I bought another pair of new penny loafers and this is what I wore for my first permanent job after college. I wore those shoes out too. I kept on buying penny loafers because they were so comfortable and I still wear them today and this covers a span of 53 years now (and counting). The only thing I changed about my penny loafers, in my closet I have a few pairs in black color and a few pairs in brown color.

To paraphrase and make my point a second time, sometimes "old fashioned" in conjunction with bookmarks (and pardon my pun) "trumps" the latest rage in browsers with regards to tabs and "popularity".................for people like me.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-28, 17:42

Night, if you look at my original post you will see a Euro symbol next to the blank link SVG icon. That Euro symbol "EQ22" bookmark is actually a folder bookmark containing 16 bookmarks. My road trip folder actually has 4+ nested folders and dozens ((and dozens) of bookmarks spread throughout the top level folder.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-03-28, 17:47

Off-topic:
@ rodndtube

My apologies to you. I thought you were driving at getting rid of the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I have been on this site for over 9 years now. I have seen how some people come here and prefer things in Firefox and Chrome. Then they want the same things in Basilisk and Pale Moon. My take on that is always the same. If I liked the things in Firefox and Chrome, one of those browsers would be my default browser. But I don't care for Firefox and Chrome as my default browser.

I will say when Pale Moon can't render something like comments on some news sites, The Sun and Fox News for examples, then I use Firefox which is my backup browser. I do not like Chrome at all.

Again, my apologies to you.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-28, 21:41

I thought is was simply a misreading. Firefox is my first backup browser and then it in some cases, I need to use Chrome or Edge. It's a downhill experience in the User Interface once one leaves Basilisk. It is hard to believe a user wanting Basilisk to be more like those two Chromium browsers. I would just prefer to have a more seamless browsing experience while using Basilisk as the programmers out there are only writing to Chrome these days. It seems the only thing people are REALLY interested in the Chrome/Edge world are styles aka themes with sparkly lights and unicorns hopping around...