CSS `line-height` value is sometimes incorrect

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Issou

CSS `line-height` value is sometimes incorrect

Unread post by Issou » 2021-02-27, 20:28

URL: https://web.archive.org/web/20070329065 ... rizee.com/

On this site, the line height is too important which causes a downside on the rendering:
render.png
This doesn't happen in other browsers.

FWIW, I've run the following code on the page:

Code: Select all

window.getComputedStyle(document.body, null).getPropertyValue("line-height");
This code prints the following results:
Basilisk 2021.02.06: "20px"
Firefox 86 / Chrome 88: "normal" (which in this situation seems to be the same as "12px")

Sorry if this has already been reported and thanks for your work on this browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: CSS `line-height` value is sometimes incorrect

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-27, 22:06

Not sure why you're assuming our line-height is wrong based on a 2007 website snapshot or getting a computed value when nothing in that page sets line-heights.
Also, default 12px line height would be wrong. I'm guessing you might have meant 12pt -- which isn't the same as px.

If you assert what we do is wrong then please provide a reduced test case displaying the issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2021-03-04, 20:36

Pale Moon wins the contest is rendering the subject web page the best (I think). It is also the only one to show a video or sound to be played under the "Inscriston" entry on the left--all the other browsers show a blank space. Overall, Pale Moon paginates the best as well. Firefox is the next best.

Not sure about the "pt" vs "px" debate as graphical elements oftentimes use the "px" as do many html web layout composition programs.

I also noticed that the display could be a function of one's computer display properties (the resolution one is using on their laptop or desktop, e.g., 1024x768), or the modification to that display, e.g., 125 percent, for one's windows default. Or, it could be the resolutions set within the browser. I observed that as I increased or decreased the screen size using the CTRL and + keys to increase the display rendering, or the reverse using CTRL and - keys, the subject headings could separate from the box below it or bleed over, particularly in the Les Legendaires and Les Secrets sections.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-04, 22:25

Keep in mind this snapshot was of a page 2 years predating the first version of Pale Moon. Browsers were quite different back then. Quite possible this renders better in MSIE 6 ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite