Will Basilisk replace Pale Moon?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

MrLuxury

Will Basilisk replace Pale Moon?

Unread post by MrLuxury » 2021-02-11, 21:00

I am new to this browser but would like to know if Basilisk will replace Pale Moon? Because i see Basilisk being more modern while Pale Moon is a bit old school? Will Pale Moon's UI be updated?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Will Basilisk replace Pale Moon?

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-02-11, 21:31

Short answer, "no".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-11, 21:49

MrLuxury wrote:
2021-02-11, 21:00
Basilisk being more modern while Pale Moon is a bit old school?
That's a strange comparison, let me tell you.
I've seen "old school" user interfaces outlive modern ones by a large margin, so you might want to reconsider your priorities.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-02-11, 22:11

MrLuxury wrote:
I am new to this browser but would like to know if Basilisk will replace Pale Moon?
That would be a very big HELL NO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-02-11, 23:09

No.

They are different projects.

If Pale Moon's default look is not to your liking, MrLuxury, there are a great variety of different themes that you can choose from since Pale Moon is Your browser, Your way™:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=45
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-12, 01:29

Basilisk is based on Firefox 52's UI for those who want a more r⃫e⃫t⃫a⃫r⃫d⃫e⃫d⃫ modern appearance. It is a separate product from Pale Moon.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-02-12, 01:46

Basilisk is also built (officially) with a different configuration, revealing more experimental features of the framework underlying both Pale Moon and Basilisk (namely UXP). I reckon WebRTC, for example, is supported "out of the box" in Basilisk whereas on Pale Moon it is not.

With experimental features comes potential instability, though. Basilisk is not necessarily recommended for day-to-day use, especially if you're counting on something not borking your browser and making it crash or spontaneously combust (or, quite frankly, both, given the instability of some Web pages I've seen). Hence Basilisk is an ideal way to test UXP if you happen to be a UXP developer; but if you're a normal user and all you want is the new user interface, then you may, quite frankly, prefer Firefox. But make your own choices; understand that I cannot decide anything for you.

And here's the original source for those remarks:

(From http://www.basilisk-browser.org/):
Moonchild Productions wrote: Basilisk is primarily a reference application for development of the XUL platform it builds upon

[...]

Basilisk is development software. This means that it should be considered more or less "beta" at all times; it may have some bugs and is provided as-is, with potential defects. Like any other Free Software community project, it comes without any warranty or promise of fitness for any particular purpose. That being said: of course we will do our best to provide an [sic] as stable and secure browser as possible with every official release of Basilisk.

[...]

[Basilisk] supports a wide array of features required for the Modern Web, including advanced scripting, WebRTC, CSS v3, HTML5 and downloadable font support.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-12, 10:54

Squash, please don't misrepresent Basilisk.

The features enabled in Basilisk that are not enabled in Pale Moon are not experimental features of the platform.
Basilisk is not an unstable channel. (we have unstable Pale Moon for in-development and experimental features of UXP for as much as they belong in Pale Moon's configuration set). Basilisk has release stability.

Basilisk is fine for daily use by anyone.

The fact that it is "development software" does not mean it's unstable, but it does see slightly less thorough pre-release testing than Pale Moon at the moment.

Side note: with the recent changes in our development focus, this statement is less true than it was before and the site should maybe be updated accordingly when we keep building from the release branch of UXP instead of (what we previously did) the master branch.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-12, 11:13

Because different applications include or don't include different bits of the entire platform each is valuable for development testing. Basilisk specifically WAS used as a development aid as we have changed things like uplifting various parts of Tycho to UXP or testing behavior of platform native bits between Pale Moon and Basilisk for behavior and function.

Of course as Basilisk is the ONLY truly native application from the misguided Mozilla perspective of platform == application it has been a tremendous aid in past present and future development of said platform. Pale Moon was ported and the BinOC applications (historically comm) were fudged to work with it. Of course I improved it quite a bit vs what the Thunderbird and SeaMonkey counsels were willing to do.. But that is a different tale.

So the description is correct but it isn't as simple of that and some aspects have indeed changed over time but the basic concept remains the same. It is true, however, that Basilisk is Release Quality .. Rolling Release that is. It is built in times where the trunk is stabilized and largely takes advantage of the specific work we do for the Stable Release Channel. But it is not limited specifically to that classification as it is Rolling. HOWEVER, large features like WebRTC are not what we are talking about when Basilisk has stuff that isn't (yet) in Pale Moon.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-02-12, 12:17

vannilla wrote:
2021-02-11, 21:49
MrLuxury wrote:
Basilisk being more modern while Pale Moon is a bit old school?
That's a strange comparison, let me tell you.
I've seen "old school" user interfaces outlive modern ones by a large margin, so you might want to reconsider your priorities.
Fully agree with vannilla. We were having sort of terminological discussion on a "linguistic" forum (started about "modern" browsers and https) and I was pointing out, as already said, that "modern" means "fashionable" (italian: moderno from moda=fashion) and is not always a "progress" (latin: pro-gredior, make a step forward).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

lost marbles

Unread post by lost marbles » 2021-02-12, 18:51

Definitely two different animals. Basilisk, however can certainly be used for everyday. I can stream Acorn TV, MHz Choice and Funimation without issue. Only Hulu requires a more mainstream browser for which I keep Mozilla. In the six months I have been using it, I have yet to have it crash on me. Ironically, my son helped me configure some classic firefox themes to have the 'old school' look with rounded tab corners. I find them easier on the eye.