custom default search engine

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

lost marbles

custom default search engine

Unread post by lost marbles » 2021-02-09, 19:55

I have had Yippy ( custom URL https://www.yippy.com/search?&query= ) set as my default search on my desktop Basilisk browser for awhile. I just added Basilisk to my laptop and my son to his desktop and we can no longer find any way to add Yippy as default search. Has custom search utility been removed? I used this Yippy custom URL for lightning browser on android and it works fine.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: custom default search engine

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-09, 20:36

Nothing has changed.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-02-09, 20:44

Place the below in the "searchplugins" folder located in your profiles. Restart Bas.
yippycom-search.xml
(875 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by billmcct on 2021-02-09, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-09, 20:56

Remember that Basilisk's search provider is different than Pale Moon's in that it will import from the profile searchplugins directory but other than checking and writing out them it it won't respect removals or changes to them.

So yeah, Basilisk's search provider is somewhat Mozilla-crippled but we can't revert it to older behavior without some major surgery I am not commiting to and could wipe out the established stores. So we localized it's near native version and put the original implementation in toolkit for Not-Australis to use.

Anyway to repeat: Nothing has changed for Basilisk though.

lost marbles

Unread post by lost marbles » 2021-02-09, 21:01

I did it once, so I know it is possible, only I can no longer find the path to how I did it. How does one add search engines that are not on the add on list?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-02-09, 21:25

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Basilisk\xxxxxxxx.default\searchplugins
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-10, 01:57

Or you can directly create your own search plugin and install it in the browser with this site.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

lost marbles

Unread post by lost marbles » 2021-02-10, 22:10

Thanks, I will try making a search plug in. I thought there had been three dots at the end of the search bar you could click but that must have been my old Mozilla. Yippy does not trigger the little green plus on the magnifying glass icon to add as search but MetaGer does so I assume it is a Yippy issue. Still not sure how I got it on the one PC but I'll just chalk it up to magic and call it good. ( and now you have all rolled your eyes and gritted your teeth like my son does when I equate computer processes with magic ) :)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-11, 01:29

Something you could also do is shooting a mail to Yippy asking to add the feature to let you install the search engine (i.e. the green plus on the magnifying glass.)
It's actually something pretty easy to do, so there's no reason not to aside from ignorance.
If you want to ask them, include the following link so they'll know what to do: https://github.com/dewitt/opensearch

lost marbles

Unread post by lost marbles » 2021-02-12, 18:26

Thanks for the specific info for the plus sign. Yippy are actually very responsive. They got back to me right away with the custom URL to add to lightning browser for my phone. I generally like to pare stuff down rather than add stuff in. That's why I like Basilisk so much, it's clean and simple. Had been using Mozilla since 2004.