Trackers

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Mark_Lee

Trackers

Unread post by Mark_Lee » 2021-02-04, 21:51

This is a sort of a "Wish List" item. The use of Trackers to collect browsing data has greatly increased and several thousand Trackers can be easily accumulated in a single day. Relying upon a request for a site not to track a browser is largely being ignored. Personally, I would like to see an option to remove Trackers on the Preference-Privacy-clear all current history list. That way it is in individual option for Trackers to be cleared or not cleared.
Mark Lee

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Trackers

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-05, 00:18

Don't hold your breath.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-05, 00:21

That's not going to be possible anyway. For starters because the definition of "what is a tracker" varies from report to report and from user to user. Clearing history means clearing history -- not selectively clearing history based on an arbitrary list that needs to be vetted daily to be effective.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-05, 02:28

How hard is it for you to use an adblocking extension and let it auto update?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Mark_Lee

Unread post by Mark_Lee » 2021-02-06, 00:01

Hmm, that is most unfortunate as neither Clearing History nor using AdBlocker resolve the Tracker problem. Some sort of definition a Tracker is in use by Piriform in their CCleaner. I was hoping that such a definition was in the Public Domain. Obviously it is not. Well, thanks for the responses.
Mark Lee

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-06, 01:00

What do they use as the definition of tracker?
Pretty much everyone defines a (web) tracker as something that stores informations about the user so that it's possible to know their habits and preferences all across the whole web.
Those trackers are not something ccleaner can do anything against, and even things like adblockers are mostly stopgap solutions.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-02-06, 01:19

I would suggest using SuperAntiSpyware (free),Pale Moon coupled with UBO and eMatrix does block a lot, but not all, and after running the web for say
a week, I will use SAS and it always finds a few that slipped through (after visiting reddit there are hundreds!) I replaced malwarebytes with SAS
in 2015 because it worked better and found stuff MB missed (also frequent def updates) you can also pick and choose which cookies to delete...
a 10/10 for me, and it's FREE. *Not the same thing as CCleaner.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung