Live thumbnail previews on YouTube

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Live thumbnail previews on YouTube

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-01-17, 22:59

Any way to get those in Basilisk? If I use Pale Moon and spoof the user agent to Firefox 68, the site works and hovering over video thumbnail makes it play portions of the video, but in Basilisk, the site breaks with a JavaScript error.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Live thumbnail previews on YouTube

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-17, 23:38

Not unless you use Older New YouTube which uses Polymer v1 (Firefox UA of 43-62).

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-01-17, 23:56

Useless function and i see no reason for it.Older layout is far superior.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-18, 00:20

The layout from like 2010 was even more superior as it had a mode on a channel where there was a player with all the videos on the side.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-01-18, 03:06

I don't know what's going on anymore. I had it working in Pale Moon with Firefox 68 UA, now it's broken. 2 days ago, it somehow worked once in Basilisk when I restarted it in safe mode, though it doesn't budge anymore with FX 68 UA in neither browser, even with clean profile.

With FX62 UA, thumbnails remain static in both browsers.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-18, 03:11

Did you completely clear your cache? You need to do that on sites when you change the UA specifically when UA is determining entirely different incarnations of the site. Yes, a Firefox UA of Firefox 63 and newer will bust because we don't have the Google WebComponents required for Polymer v2. We should have these or at least enough for Polymer v2 as used on YouTube and GitHub in Milestone 29.

As for animated or video preview thumbnails on Polymer v1.. I dunno I saw it working when I switched to it a while back but I went back to Material aka Old YouTube for some reason I can't recall atm. Very well might have been because animated thumbnail previews pissed me off in general.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-18, 03:37

This animated thumbnail sounds like the utterly irritating autoplaying trailer on mouseover that Netflix has. Couldn't find a good userscript to make it stop, the ones on Greasespot and other Greasemonkey script sites were all outdated.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-18, 10:00

Opinions about the feature are irrelevant to what this thread is about. I do distinctly remember seeing them work on Polymer v1 at one time but it may have been disabled or whatever. I don't know. I do know Polymer v1 Youtube did have some revisions. However, Polymer v2 while looking almost identical visually is a whole different beast technologically and structurally.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-01-18, 17:14

I thought about a cache being an issue. If I have browser.privatebrowsing.autostart set to true, there is still activity in profile folder at AppData\Local\...\

Speaking of which, I seem to remember Moonchild mentioning something along the lines that using either private windows or that pref is not recommended for general usage. The topic was about memory management and some of the memory might not be reclaimed due to how things work internally when you close the tab, only after the window which hosted the tab is closed, all allocated memory related to it and its tabs is supposed to be reclaimed. That's probably still true I presume.

So pretending to be FX > 62 on YouTube is actually supposed to result in a broken site due to missing WebComponents. It's strange because I did most testing in Pale Moon in a virtual machine, always starting with the same snapshot. Maybe Google guys did something in between, who knows.