Widevine update when?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Widevine update when?

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-28, 13:11

Sorry to keep asking but I'm really hoping this gets fixed so I can ditch Firefox. Cannot stand waiting ages for it to spin up just so I can watch Amazon Prime. Slow af despite having just uBlock Origin and nothing else, and I only have it for Prime, since Netflix continues to work in Basilisk. Ditching it the second Basilisk gets updated.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Widevine update when?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-10-28, 15:00

Same answer as last time. If you are so anxious why don't you do it.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-10-29, 00:49

I would actually recommend Vivaldi over Firefox if you're in a situation where you have to use something other than Basilisk.

The question of what your second browser should be is something you should put serious thought into, because like it or not, there are going to be times when you need to use a site that was poorly designed, and you won't have time to wait for it to get fixed. Especially if you pay for web services like Prime. You'll never be able to "ditch" other browsers entirely, but you can try to avoid the worst offenders like Firefox and Chrome.

I actually wound up installing Pale Moon partly because modern browsers make it such a pain to use Flash, and there is a lot of content on the web that is likely never going to be updated to use HTML5 for various reasons. So I don't really see this as a major flaw in UXP, just the nature of the Internet in general because stuff changes so much, browsers add or drop support, websites add or drop support, etc...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-29, 01:00

I'm on Linux, using Ungoogled Chromium in addition to PM and Basilisk. I was quite happy that between the last 2 I had 99% of my web usage covered, with Chromium for the stubborn few, or if I was in a hurry and didn't want to spend time figuring out what to turn off in eMatrix/uBO to get a site to work. If Basilisk gets fixed again, I'm once more getting rid of Firefox.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-10-28, 15:00
Same answer as last time. If you are so anxious why don't you do it.
I would if I could, seeing as this isn't simply like debugging an extension's console javascript or something trivial like hacking its application ID, and I've got a weedy laptop that chokes on loading more than a couple of applications, let alone any serious build/development work.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-11-13, 16:16

athenian200 wrote:
2019-10-29, 00:49
I would actually recommend Vivaldi over Firefox if you're in a situation where you have to use something other than Basilisk.
Is Vivaldi more secure and privacy-respecting than today's Mozilla Firefox?

That's what my concern is.

If I were to use another browser for the purpose of viewing something on a site that uses Widevine, I would need that browser to not be Google Chrome-levels of unsecure/personal-information-eating.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-11-13, 16:32

Privacy != Security.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-13, 17:46

In many cases Privacy XOR Security
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-11-13, 22:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-11-13, 16:32
Privacy != Security.
Right, but what I am saying is that I would want a spare browser that allows me to have as much of both as possible.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-14, 01:18

Tharthan wrote:
2019-11-13, 22:35
Right, but what I am saying is that I would want a spare browser that allows me to have as much of both as possible.
Currently that's what I'm doing - I use PM primarily followed by Basilisk, and keeping Firefox around for Netflix/Prime only. Once Basilisk gets the Widevine update I'm ditching Firefox.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-11-14, 01:22

moonbat wrote:
2019-11-14, 01:18
Currently that's what I'm doing - I use PM primarily followed by Basilisk, and keeping Firefox around for Netflix/Prime only. Once Basilisk gets the Widevine update I'm ditching Firefox.
I would assume that Firefox is still better than Chrome in those areas (however slight that superiority might be), but is Vivaldi a practical option here?

@
?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-11-14, 01:28

I use Chromium on Linux, so these 2 sites outright detect it and refuse to run since it doesn't have DRM. Since I haven't touched any Chromium derivatives other than Kiwi Browser on Android (because it supports extensions and I can use uBlock with it), can't comment.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-01-09, 15:22

Does this mean DRM for Basilisk is dead?
https://boingboing.net/2020/01/08/rip-o ... tform.html

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-09, 15:44

The way Mozilla downloads but does not bundle the widevine cdm works around the Google restriction to the best of everyone's knowledge as no Firefox forks including Golden-Boy-Alex's Waterfox have been challenged. The issue seems to really be one on Chromium/Blink/Electron-based applications because they can't bundle it without an agreement and there is no mechnism in Chromium to download it on-the-fly.

It is entirely possible there could be an issue even with downloading the publicly available files on-the-fly that has not yet been challenged but no, this is not the reason for DRM being busted for so long. It is purely that we have yet to update the capabilities of the DRM support code to accept newer CDM versions. Which is a bigger job now than was initally thought and is more extensive than what was needed to go from point 8 to point 9. Going point 10 and beyond requires a virtual re-implimentation due to alignment with the chromium version of the cdm rather than there being a specific version given out for Gecko as seems to have been the case for point 9 and older.

In any event, if the on-the-fly downloading of the CDM gets challenged for Firefox forks or us then that WILL block us using Widevine as Google never did bother to reply to inquiries. So right now as far as anyone knows the Firefox method isn't a problem and our busted DRM is purely on a technical level at this time.