Basilisk opens an audio stream but does not display the site player

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

loninappleton

Basilisk opens an audio stream but does not display the site player

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-26, 02:10

Hard to describe this because in most instances audio loaded from sites works fine. I use a news site
which has a listen live button. That always worked with Firefox. What changed? The behavior is:
their player box opens but does not show the volume and start stop. I thought I saw the full player
on for a brief second and then the blank player box over writes it.

Is there something in settings I missed? I just have an ad blocker add on, nothing else. I began
to use Basilisk very recently. Is something from the Firefox core conflicting?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Basilisk opens an audio stream but does not display the site player

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-10-26, 03:31

How about a link, please?

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-26, 04:38

https://kpfa.org/

See the Listen Live button screen left.

Any of the archive selections or podcast play fine.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-10-26, 05:09

Works great. You need to allow pacifica.org and typekit.net to run scripts on the page.

Adblockers aren't magic - if a page doesn't work properly, you have to start by unblocking individual sites for that page (barring the obvious advertising ones like doubleclick, Taboola etc). And you can figure out what a site listed in the adblocker log is for by doing a web search for the domain - if it's to do with advertising or analytics you were right to keep it blocked. Some other sites offer utility scripts for video players and the like, and will break functionality if blocked.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-26, 10:53

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-26, 02:10
The behavior is:
their player box opens but does not show the volume and start stop. I thought I saw the full player
on for a brief second and then the blank player box over writes it.
Both the audio stream and player come from streams.pacifica.org.
If that's blocked there will indeed be a blank popup window with no player at all (not a partial one lacking controls, if that's what you are describing). There would also be no audio (including for the archive and podcasts, which you said "play fine"). Is this what you see?
kpfa-blankplayerpopup.png
In any case, so long as it's unblocked everything works fine.
Typkit.net doen't seem to be at issue, at least not for me. I have their scripts blocked (since I block all third-party scripts) and the player still works just fine.
kpfa-livestreamplayer.png
I'm curious how streams.pacifica.org would have come to be blocked, if blocked it is, since AFAICS none of the filter lists are blocking it. Do you have some personal rule doing that? Or might something else be going on? Do you have any extensions at all other than your one adblocker?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-26, 18:17

Could it be a setting I messed in Basilisk.

Tools > Options > then what. Mozilla menus hide things under 'advanced ' and such. I check to see if I can find
block the script box status. Thanks for answering.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-26, 19:05

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-26, 18:17
Tools > Options > then what.
That's pretty broad. :)

Does the problem persist in safe mode ?
(Help -> Restart in Safe Mode...)

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-26, 20:35

I don't know where you are in inspecting all this. Only thing on here is an ad blocker. Ad Blcoker Ultimate and one for You Tube.

Ad Blocker Ultimate has a button on top right.

I don't know what typelit whatevs is. It seems that this specific site is having interference problmes. Same thing happened in Firefox where KPFA was being blocked by NGnix. I've never had any of this before. What has changed? A thorough cleaning using tools suggested got rid of the NGnix.

I also see, though it's confusing, that an email notification opens Firefox and not Basilisk. If I Completely removed Firfox what would be left?

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-26, 21:05

Please just try in Safe Mode. It can eliminate add-ons and configuration changes as potential sources of your problem. What is NGnix and why is it blocking things? Sounds like nginx which is a Web server... Curious what you mean got rid of.

You can set a default Web browser, different ways depending on Operating System, or go to Preferences --> Advanced --> General --> System Defaults and have Pale Moon ask to be the default. It sounds like you have Firefox set as your default browser right now, unless your email program has chosen it specifically for some reason.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-10-27, 13:16

Off-topic:
What a nice, varied selection that station has. No one around here, MD, does that anymore.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-27, 16:23

So you're saying that NGnix is not a bug it's a feature. ;-) Thst is actually some relief to me.

I'm not clear on what I have to do on this with Safe Mode. If I did a clean install of Basilisk after nuking Firefox is that workable. If so where is Safe Mode in Basilisk?

On the Off Topic, it's not public radio. The Pacifica network starting with the KPFA station goes back to
the World War II era. Living in NE Wisconsin, it wasn't until the internet age that I knew anything about it.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-27, 16:35

While I'm waiting for anything on Safe Mode-- onless it's just F8 in Win7 I'm going to run the cleaner
routines I did on one of my test boxes.

That will take a while since I start with the chkdsk extended options.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-27, 17:00

Honestly I don't know what NGnix is or where you heard about it or why it's relevant.
loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-27, 16:35
I'm not clear on what I have to do on this with Safe Mode.
Help > Restart in Safe Mode...

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-27, 18:20

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-27, 16:35
While I'm waiting for anything on Safe Mode-- onless it's just F8 in Win7
It's not something for you to wait for; it's something for you to do.
It means restarting Basilisk in the browser's safe mode - there's no connection to Windows' safe mode.

"Help -> Restart in Safe Mode" refers to Basilisk's Help menu. After you select it follow the prompts.

There's a link few posts up to an article that will give you more information about safe mode.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-27, 21:55

Ok, got it. I see it in the help.

Any reports or screenshots you are looking for?

In between I did run a deep system clean. No improvement from that. I'll do the safe starte and see what happens.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-27, 22:01

Did it. No apparent 'double load' pf the player box. But no sound or timer count. Just frozen.

As to that clean install. I can use RevoUninstaller and that will clean out Firefox. How can I save what few bookmarks I've reinstalled?

In th past I have used Mozbackup and consider it it essential software. Nowadays however, it does not
want to reinstall a of the pcv file. That's why I tried to go back to v 57.

We're getting there though.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-28, 07:06

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-27, 22:01
How can I save what few bookmarks I've reinstalled?
In the Library there should be an option to export your bookmarks to HTML.

loninappleton

Unread post by loninappleton » 2019-10-28, 19:04

I was rereading the thread. The link to the player-

streams.pacifica.org

- can that be unblocked in Adblock or whatever rules and whites lists Basilisk has? As I said I never had to bother with such previously and can follow from rote steps. On this, I currently have another radio station
set up as a shortcut to the task bar. That works great for an immediate play and uses Foobar2000 as the player.
Perhaps loading the KPFA player is the problem and needs a workaround. I'll see if I can build one of those
shortcuts for it.

Maybe I should just wait until shows get posted. I don't know why this particular site should be acting up.
I can wait the hour for the news.

What are Unified XUL Platform and UXP applications where Basilisk resides on the forum?
If it has anything to do with Linux don't tell me.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-10-28, 20:12

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-27, 22:01
Did it. No apparent 'double load' pf the player box. But no sound or timer count. Just frozen.
loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-28, 19:04
streams.pacifica.org

- can that be unblocked in Adblock or whatever rules and whites lists Basilisk has?
1. The "rules and whitelists" are in the adblocker, not in Basilisk.

2. When you were in safe mode the adblocker would have been disabled, so if the problem was all due to some "rule or whitelist" it should have resolved temporarily while you were in safe mode.
But apparently it didn't. Not sure what you mean by "'double load' of the player box."

3. I'm not familiar with AdBlocker Ultimate (is this it?) so can't offer advice on how to use it.

Did you copy over or import all or part of your Firefox profile to Basilisk? If so, that might be causing problems.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2019-10-28, 20:47

loninappleton wrote:
2019-10-28, 19:04
What are Unified XUL Platform and UXP applications where Basilisk resides on the forum?
If it has anything to do with Linux don't tell me.
UXP is the Unified XUL Platform, a codebase and platform on which various applications can be built, including Basilisk and Pale Moon. Such applications are UXP applications. XUL is the markup language used to create the user interface of UXP applications, and Mozilla applications like Firefox.