Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: satrow

User avatar
nerd74
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 2019-08-23, 08:53

Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by nerd74 » 2019-08-23, 09:04

Hi!

I can't run the Basilisk browser (a Pale Moon fork) with AppArmor.

I get this error message:

Couldn't load XPCOM.

I'll did this:
...added to my Basilisk AppArmor profile:

/path/to/basilisk/liblgpllibs.so r,

but this did not help.

Which files must I add to my AppArmor profile to run Basilisk without the XPCOM error?

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24817
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-23, 11:50

Your best bet would be to ask AppArmor folks how you need to set this up for Basilisk, but maybe there are some AppArmor users here in the community that can help.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1101
Joined: 2018-06-08, 17:02

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by therube » 2019-08-23, 12:17

(ref: https://www.howtogeek.com/118222/htg-ex ... tu-system/)

Are you sure it is AppArmor that is the issue?
Are you able to (temporarily) disable AA?
Does Basilisk then run, or do you get the same error?


(Can't load XPCOM has cropped up in the Mozilla world before - exclusive of AA.)

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24817
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-23, 12:55

@therube "Couldn't load XPCOM" is a generic (and terminal) fallback message whenever the browser for some reason can't initialize its cross-platform components. The most common occurrence of this is the application not having access to its libraries (which can happen with many other "security" solutions too), so yes, AppArmor is most definitely the prime suspect here by denying the browser access to its own or dependent modules/libs.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
nerd74
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 2019-08-23, 08:53

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by nerd74 » 2019-08-23, 15:56

When I unload the AppArmor profile of Basilisk, then I can run Basilisk without any XPCOM error.

It would be good to know which libraries I need to add in my Basilisk AppArmor profile to read access.

User avatar
Isengrim
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 996
Joined: 2015-09-08, 22:54
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-23, 16:33

I don't use AppArmor or know much about it, but have you tried any of the tips on this (possibly outdated) page?

https://www.howtogeek.com/118328/how-to ... on-ubuntu/
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

User avatar
nerd74
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 2019-08-23, 08:53

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by nerd74 » 2019-08-23, 17:04

I will create a new AppArmor profile for Basilisk.

For testing purposes, I will add all libraries from the folder /basilisk.

After that I test it with the permissions.

When I have finished, I will post that Basilisk AppArmor profile in near future ;-)

User avatar
nerd74
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 2019-08-23, 08:53

Re: Basilisk Browser (PM fork) AppArmor + Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by nerd74 » 2019-08-25, 18:30

added:

"@{HOME}/basilisk/browser/components/libbrowsercomps.so" m,
"@{HOME}/basilisk/lib**.so" m,


...now it works...

SOLVED! :)

Post Reply