So a couple days ago netflix worked on palemoon. Today it doesn't. So I installed a fresh installation of basilisk.

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

namad

So a couple days ago netflix worked on palemoon. Today it doesn't. So I installed a fresh installation of basilisk.

Unread post by namad » 2019-07-28, 08:58

So a couple days ago netflix worked on palemoon. Today it doesn't. So I installed a fresh installation of basilisk. I wanted to see if basilisk would work. I went to netflix. I logged in. A browser popup appeared asking me to allow usage of drm, I clicked yes/okay/whatever to accept. Then something came up saying basilisk was installing something to allow me to experience the audio/video features of netflix.

Then nothing worked, I got the same error message as palemoon gave. I closed and reopened basilisk as an administrator (although I'm an administrator so it had probably done that by default the first time).

Same result, nothing. Anyone have a similar problem? Are there steps I'm skipping?

I will note that this is what it says when I go to silverlight in basilisk:
You are running on a browser that may not be fully compatible with Microsoft Silverlight. You can still try to install by clicking below or you can refer to the System Requirements for more information.
Direct Download Links
Install for Windows
Install for Macintosh

but when I check the same page in palemoon it says:
The version of Silverlight installed is:
Silverlight 5 (5.1.50918.0)

You are ready to use Microsoft Silverlight

So I'm pretty sure my silverlight installation is fine. I think something must have changed on netflix's end this weekend though. I'd love to know if anyone has or hasn't had this problem as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: So a couple days ago netflix worked on palemoon. Today it doesn't. So I installed a fresh installation of basilisk.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-28, 09:33

See other thread.
If both EME and Silverlight stopped working with a reboot of your system, then something else is going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

namad

Re: So a couple days ago netflix worked on palemoon. Today it doesn't. So I installed a fresh installation of basilisk.

Unread post by namad » 2019-07-28, 12:46

I should mention chrome/vivaldi play netflix just fine. I do only reboot a few times a year though. So perhaps the reboot does somehow matter.

Oh also the UI for basilisk and palemoon was the same, the one I'm calling legacy. The one without the fancy new UI. I guess that's the silverlight one? and the new one is EME? Either way both basilisk and palemoon tried to load the same netflix. As in not the netflix chrome uses. I always get which is which backwards. So I wouldn't say both silverlight and eme are broken.

That said webpages like these:
http://www.starmanwebspinners.com/austi ... /Test.html
https://www.kirupa.com/silverlight/Deep ... tPage.html

load just fine, so I think silverlight is working, just not netflix.

What are the useragent overrides for netflix supposed to be now?
I've got this on basilisk:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 Basilisk/52.9.2019.06.08
and this on palemoon:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

One theory I've got right now is that the menu's for netflix are loading in silverlight, which works, but then due to my useragent netflix is trying to feed me html5/eme data for actual video playback and it's getting an error because that doesn't work, never has, and never will on palemoon (IIRC?)

edit:
netflix is working now. feel free to delete both threads if you want. I just tried watching a different tv show and it works now. That makes literally no sense at all. It's as if reading your messages fixed it.