Basilisk update anytime soon?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Basilisk update anytime soon?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-27, 19:47

I'm not in a hurry; just wondering out loud.

As always, thanks to the devs. I use nothing but PM and Basilisk and am exceedingly happy with the two browsers.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Basilisk update anytime soon?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-27, 21:46

Releases come when they're ready. I do not know what criteria the dev team uses to determine when Basilisk updates are due, but they're usually every few months.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-28, 00:18

At the moment I'm holding off on a release because DRM needs to be fixed for Google's licensing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-30, 10:09

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-28, 00:18
At the moment I'm holding off on a release because DRM needs to be fixed for Google's licensing.
OK, thank you.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-30, 10:11

Any further similar posts will likely not be answered. it'll be released "when it's done" as we've always done.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-07-30, 10:16

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-30, 10:11
Any further similar posts will likely not be answered. it'll be released "when it's done" as we've always done.
I like the "likely". In any case, thanks again for taking the time to reply. I'm sure you've got better things to do.

pintorama
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by pintorama » 2019-08-05, 20:47

Could the "DRM needs to be fixed for Google's licensing" issue be related to the web based Google Voice not working to the extent that I can't seem to send a text message while in Basilisk, but can in Firefox?

The error message generated is: "You might be unable to make or receive calls over the internet. Check your internet settings."

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-08-05, 21:19

No, as far as I know the DRM issue is not related to WebRTC.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-02, 07:37

Hey! Tell me, what will the Basilisk have in the future? In the end, all the events from the Basilisk have already been transferred to the Pale Moon. And initially it was created for the development of UXP and its transfer to the Pale Moon. Will something fundamental be done? New features, usability? Or just patch security?
Will there be a switch to another core of Firefox?
Thank.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-02, 09:24

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-28, 00:18
Will it continue to be a part of the browser? I'd hate to have to return to Firefox on Linux for my Netflix/Amazon Prime fix.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 06:58

Basilisk was initially positioned as a test assembly for XUL (UXP) and its transfer to Pale Moon. All this has already been done. So the existence of a Basilisk is already meaningless? Will the Basilisk project be closed? Or will it continue to develop as a standalone browser? But then he must come out of the eternal Beta. And what will be the vector of its development?
Developers can answer these questions?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-03, 07:28

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 06:58
Basilisk was initially positioned as a test assembly for XUL (UXP) and its transfer to Pale Moon. All this has already been done. So the existence of a Basilisk is already meaningless? Will the Basilisk project be closed? Or will it continue to develop as a standalone browser? But then he must come out of the eternal Beta. And what will be the vector of its development?
Developers can answer these questions?
Please read the pinned posts in the Basilisk forum.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 07:35

Forum read. Basilisk did not see any specifics on a different positioning than the test site. This can be read on the first page on the official website of the Basilisk. The authors themselves are silent and do not answer specific questions. Maybe he was already abandoned as unnecessary?
Does he have a long-term development? And what is it like?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 10:46

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 06:58
But then he must come out of the eternal Beta.
It doesn't have to at all.

Basilisk is two things:

1) A way to test the capabilities of UXP that Pale Moon does not support.
2) A browser with closer compatibility to FF 52 than Pale Moon (user interface and other details) for those that need it.

Basilisk updates are released when they are ready. That's alll there is to it.
a.k.a. Ascrod

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 11:28

The first thing seems to be checked. The second thing remains. So the Basilisk will not be abandoned. Will there just be another browser with great compatibility with Firefox 52? Which will develop further?
But I wonder what will be its development? After all, Firefox 52 is dead. And Quantum is developing now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 11:33

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 11:28
After all, Firefox 52 is dead. And Quantum is developing now.
If you expect a fork to be equal to what it forked from, then you should keep in mind that Basilisk as an application is building on UXP. They are not the same thing. Firefox 52 is dead because the Mozilla code underpinning it is not developed.

Why do you think the application code needs to be developed when the platform is being developed? Why do you think there needs to be a significant "plan of change" for Basilisk when what it offers is what users want from it?

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 11:58

As far as I understand, all this is done to support the old classic extensions and the ability to work on older computers. But at the same time, the browser must be constantly updated and refined in order to maintain operability in modern WEB. But this is the most difficult.
There is no need to talk about any new features in the browser. It will simply be kept afloat and cover security issues.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-03, 12:12

As I understand, the support for web standards would rely on the rendering engine, Goanna in this case - which is common to both browsers. So there isn't any need to separately patch Basilisk, it will follow PM, just not released as frequently. As it is, the number of people who want the UI equivalent of post Australis Firefox is a small subset.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 12:33

I guess I need to post this again. People have forgotten.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 13:09

I like this new trend of how people are ignoring everything ever written over the past few years and are just presenting their own (incorrect) theories and then telling us that is why we have done these things as if we have no memory of what we did or was somehow not involved.

What even is this?