Basilisk update anytime soon?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

roma6266

Re: Basilisk update anytime soon?

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 13:43

This is all clear. The Basilisk was created to develop the UXP platform. The platform is created. And he successfully migrated to the Pale Moon. The Basilisk itself (like Pale Moon) is an application that runs on the UXP platform.
The essence of the question - Basilisk, as an application, will develop or not? Or is the development of a new application (browser) Basilisk not planned?
Last edited by roma6266 on 2019-09-03, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 13:45

Basilisk is primarily a reference application for development of the XUL platform it builds upon, and additionally a potential replacement for Firefox.
it's ON THE WEBSITE
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 13:47

Do some research on the forum. Come back when you can properly answer who did what and why and what has happened since then and what is yet to come.

Also, still waiting on a response to:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-09-03, 13:09
I like this new trend of how people are ignoring everything ever written over the past few years and are just presenting their own (incorrect) theories and then telling us that is why we have done these things as if we have no memory of what we did or was somehow not involved.

What even is this?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-09-03, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 13:50

To answer the topic question: yes, soon. I'm building windows binaries right now. I don't know if I can get a hold of Travis today but assuming not; Tobin, could you churn out some binaries for Linux?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 13:51

Linux builds? Yeah sure, why not. I should get up anyway :)
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-09-03, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 13:52

That is, the development of the Basilisk browser application itself will not be?
If this is, first of all, the reference application for the development of the XUL platform. And nothing more.
Last edited by roma6266 on 2019-09-03, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 13:54

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 13:52
That is, the development of the Basilisk browser application itself will not be?
Please try to use complete sentences that ask a single, concrete question. I have no idea what you're asking.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 13:55

Please follow my recommendation and conduct some research before your next post or the next word you will hear very well might be EX-TER-MIN-ATE.

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 14:11

I guess I don't speak English well. I'm sorry. :-)
I wanted to know if the Basilisk will develop as an application (browser)? Or it was created exclusively for the development of the UXP platform itself. And nothing more.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-03, 14:34

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 14:11
I wanted to know if the Basilisk will develop as an application (browser)? Or it was created exclusively for the development of the UXP platform itself. And nothing more.
It will develop 'as and when'. There is no fixed schedule. Right now there are only two reasons to use it over Pale Moon -
  • You really like the Firefox 52+ UI for some unfathomable reason :wtf:
  • You need the DRM support for Netflix/Amazon Prime on Linux, since Pale Moon doesn't and will not support DRM.
For me, it is the latter reason, and a bonus for not having to retain Firefox on Linux (which I was only going to keep around for these video sites anyway).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 14:43

moonbat wrote:
2019-09-03, 14:34
You need the DRM support for Netflix/Amazon Prime on Linux, since Pale Moon doesn't and will not support DRM.
Or WebRTC, in whatever state it still exists in the platform.
roma6266 wrote:
Most of the browser's feature changes will derive from the platform it builds on. Basilisk is not the focus of development efforts, so it will not receive the same level of application-specific development attention that Pale Moon does.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-03, 14:59

moonbat.. The UI bit should not focus so much on people LIKING Australis the Style (though there are still a few that do) but on the Australis Technology and UI level which allows otherwise unaltered Firefox (True) Extensions work with little to no issue. Everyone knows that extensions are king for the majority.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-03, 15:32

roma6266 wrote:
As stated in the early pages released providing information about Basilisk:
The browser (application) itself will aim to provide a stable interface to the web with no major changes in the user interface after release. [...] Do not expect shocking changes or big enhancements to the browser application itself.

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 17:00

Thank you all for your answers. Especially the Pale Moon guru. I understood everything that I wanted to know. :-)

roma6266

Unread post by roma6266 » 2019-09-03, 17:05

Moonchild wrote: ↑
2019-07-28, 03:18
"At the moment I'm holding off on a release because DRM needs to be fixed for Google's licensing."

Release notes, v2019.09.03
"...DRM might currently not work in new installations due to Google's licensing model."

Is this issue still not resolved?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-09-03, 17:10

roma6266 wrote:
2019-09-03, 17:05
Is this issue still not resolved?
No, this is still in progress.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-04, 00:39

2019-09-03, 14:59
moonbat.. The UI bit should not focus so much on people LIKING Australis the Style (though there are still a few that do) but on the Australis Technology and UI level which allows otherwise unaltered Firefox (True) Extensions work with little to no issue. Everyone knows that extensions are king for the majority.
But are there extensions that will work out of the box on Basilisk that won't on PM? I thought WebExtensions was the hard cut off when it came to compatibility.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-04, 01:15

Almost any non-webextension targeting Firefox 52 should work on Basilisk, aside from those relying on a few removed features and busted by code changes since UXP started life as ESR 52.6 back in Feb 2018 when I created the repository and imported the code from Mozilla.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-09-04, 01:27

2019-09-04, 01:15
Almost any non-webextension targeting Firefox 52 should work on Basilisk
But that would also work for PM, right, or will we have to fiddle with the supported version in the install.rdf?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-09-04, 01:52

No. While UXP is the same (except for platform features in Basilisk like EME, WebRTC) between Pale Moon and Basilisk.. Pale Moon's UI level is an evolved form (in it's own direction) that largely originates from Firefox ESR 24. Ported up a total of 28 Mozilla codebases. The whole thing (Application and Platform together) is a true hybrid of at least THREE different mozilla sourced codebases primarily, older mozilla features ported, newer features backported, and completely original code. It has no direct Firefox analog anymore and while MANY MANY Firefox extensions work on Pale Moon a lot don't. This could be because of a change we made including the consequences of adapting the Application to run on two different (and different from it originally) platforms.

While it is nice when some version of a Firefox Extension works unaltered, Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again.

One must consider it a different application and develop or fork extensions to directly target Pale Moon and its featureset.

Once you understand that, you will get your grade in Pale Moon 101.

Basilisk's Application Code matches the Platform code for which it was designed to run save changes we have made to it and the platform since Feb 2018 at which time it ceased being Firefox 52.6 ESR. Such as removing a bunch of Mozilla service garbage as well as WebExtensions and infected components there of. Replacing the Add-ons Manager and Sync Client (including Application UI code from Pale Moon) with those from the Tycho Codebase (which is the platform Pale Moon 27 was built on and was forked away from ESR38, though, I must note that Pale Moon's application code was ported up the line and in Tycho no part of Firefox 38's application code was retained). The aforementioned backports and forwardports of other bits including original code.

So while Basilisk is MUCH MUCH CLOSER to Firefox 52 than Pale Moon will ever be it isn't identical. Luckily most extensions target UI features which is why bustages are LESS LIKELY with Firefox Extensions targeting Firefox 52 and except for the few fundamental bits in the platform the extension code is targeting... Firefox 52 extensions will generally work on Basilisk.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-09-04, 02:11, edited 5 times in total.