How to downgrade back to previous version

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Gorlash

Re: How to downgrade back to previous version

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-20, 02:53

Regarding licensing conditions for the three themes that I was most concerned about...
I extracted everything from Sky Pilot Classic - the most beautiful and eccentric of the themes that I love, and there is *nothing* about licensing conditions anywhere in the theme. As I noted previously, the parent websites for these themes are *long* gone, since Firefox had stopped responding to requests to have themes approved for circulation, years ago. In the absence of any other guidance, I would have to treat that as "modification not permitted", methinks... yes??

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-20, 03:09

In absence of any licensing, any original work will default to being author rights protected, meaning you can't do anything with it, I'm afraid. No modification or derivative works allowed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-20, 10:34

Smokey20 wrote:JustOff, would you consider archiving the legacy Personas?
Sorry, but this is not my cup of tea.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-20, 12:49

Regarding Sky Pilot Classic:
It looks like this theme had three different maintainers and versions, the original one for Netscape 6, the updated one for Firefox 2 and the most recent one for Firefox 8.0. And because it is a Firefox 8 theme it does not really work correctly with CustomizableUI... Also it is copyrighted.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-20, 16:57

Gorlash wrote:You *betcha* I backed up all those themes, as well as the <mumble> addon which allowed me to load them!!
So it appears that Walnut is loaded via some other mechanism ?? It doesn't appear to have been located in that extensions directory...
and of course, it is no longer available online... <sigh>
Well, I found the walnut theme in the Pale Moon extensions directory, and backed it up in my set as well... so all is good now !

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-27, 22:34

BTW, speaking of StrictCompatibility... I don't know exactly what it means, if a theme sets that flag, but I've definitely found that Sky Pilot Classic interferes with other aspects of browser operation... as examples:
1. in bookmarks menu, website icons display in different sizes, anywhere from 1X, 2X, up to 4X in the case of the Reuters website. It makes the bookmarks menu rather... entertaining... to utilize.
2. in many dialog boxes, I cannot actually check boxes if Sky Pilot is active - one example is that I cannot click the "set Basilisk as default browser" with it active, I have to change to some other theme.

Sky Pilot was always one of the most complex themes available, and many of the maintainers had trouble keeping it working, especially with the ever-changing Firefox environment. Nevertheless, I *love* that theme, and will continue using it as long as I can !! I just have to understand that I occasionally need to change themes to change program settings...

However, it also gives me some insight into why Firefox team wanted to move away from those themes.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-02, 08:19

Gorlash wrote:However, it also gives me some insight into why Firefox team wanted to move away from those themes.
I think you have things backwards.
Mozilla has not really cared about how much work they would cause for theme (and extension) maintainers and their moving away from supporting "complete themes" has much more to do with enforcing their own vision what Firefox should be and look like (brand enforcement) than it has to do with consideration for add-on developers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite