Video stutter on youtube. 32bit basilisk, windows 7

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Jeff Halebopp

Video stutter on youtube. 32bit basilisk, windows 7

Unread post by Jeff Halebopp » 2019-01-01, 04:05

When playing videos on youtube, there are micro-stutters about every 2 seconds, even if only playing at 720p. I have the latest basilisk 32bit. I have windows 7 64bit with i7 2600k 24gigs ram and gtx 1060. My computer is not the problem. I had to go back to firefox ESR v52.9.0 32bit for smooth playback. All iterations of firefox play smoothly. I have graphic acceleration turned off in firefox and basilisk. So there is some problem with video playback in basilisk. I really would like to use basilisk but having stutters is a deal breaker since I live on youtube. I am running the old style youtube with the "youtube classic v1.2" extension which puts on a cookie to activate the old youtube style interface. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Video stutter on youtube. 32bit basilisk, windows 7

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-01, 09:40

There is a known issue with software decoding of WebM videos in UXP at the moment. This has already been solved in development and will be fixed in the next release of Basilisk.
You should be able to work around it by disabling webm video decoding for the time being. In about:config set media.webm.enabled to false.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jeff Halebopp

Unread post by Jeff Halebopp » 2019-01-01, 17:52

Setting media.webm.enabled to false indeed stopped the stuttering. But of course this limits the resolution to 1080p. I am looking forward to the next release. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-01, 18:17

I wouldn't recommend playing any video over 1080p using the CPU for decoding (no hardware acceleration), anyway. Keep in mind that a web browser is not a dedicated and specialized media player so UHD video is very much at the grace of being able to fully leverage HWA.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite