"and site data"?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Smokey20

"and site data"?

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-11-18, 09:15

What does "and site data" under Preferences/Privacy/History "allow sites to store cookies and site data" mean? Fx 52 ESR speaks only of cookies. Plus, I don't recall seeing "and site data" in Basilisk in the past.

JustOff

Re: "and site data"?

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-18, 12:21

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2018-11-18, 14:30

Basilisk (Pale Moon)
By deleting cookies will site data (indexedDB) also automatically get deleted?
I assume not but I might be wrong, hence my question.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-18, 14:54

No, you need to use "Clear History" and select "Site Connectivity Data" to do so.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-11-19, 10:32

JustOff wrote:No, you need to use "Clear History" and select "Site Connectivity Data" to do so.
""Site Connectivity Data" ? I don't have that on Basilisk 2018.11.07 64 bit version.

Plus, the preference in Moonchild's comment you linked to earlier is still in Basilisk. I want a way to deny all indexed database saved by websites on my browser...global denial not site by site where I don't even have "site Connectivity Data" setting to be able to delete the stored stuff later. Combining cookies and indexed database in Preferences I don't understand. I see that Mozilla has done this on some version of Fx later than Fx 52.9 ESR that I still use. I have left Fx except for Fx 52 ESR because Mozilla has become less and less interested in user privacy (among all the other stuff they have eliminated in their zeal to become a Chrome browser clone). I think indexed database saving on the browser should be by default denied for all sites and cookies by default denied at all sites and then there should be an exceptions list (like the one for cookies) for indexed database savings and the user could allow for a few sites there. This would provide privacy much better while still allowing for history to be saved and the avoidance of using private browser only.

There are some strange things going on with this latest version of Basilsk. I was deleting cookies (Cookie Controller seems to not be working correctly in this Basilisk version). I deleted cookies from a site that I had a tab open to and immediately that caused an ad to appear yet when I did the same thing, at the same site, with the same tab open on Fx 52.9 ESR, no ad appeared. I have the same version of ublock origin and and Privacy Badger on both browsers and both use Fx Tracking Protection with Strict Block List.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-19, 12:11

Smokey20 wrote:""Site Connectivity Data" ? I don't have that on Basilisk 2018.11.07 64 bit version.
Sorry, I was wrong, the "Offline Website Data" option is responsible for that.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-11-19, 12:20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-11-19, 12:36

... and break websites that need IndexedDB :coffee:

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-11-19, 13:22

I realize it will break sites, however it can be toggled.
@Smokey20 stated:
I think indexed database saving on the browser should be by default denied.
Just offering an option.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-19, 13:31

Just to clarify: it is no longer possible to disable IndexedDB overall in Pale Moon or Basilisk. This is why there is "and site data" to clarify cookie control includes website data like IndexedDB.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-11-20, 08:48

billmcct wrote:I realize it will break sites, however it can be toggled.
@Smokey20 stated:
I think indexed database saving on the browser should be by default denied.
Just offering an option.
That extension doesn't work on Basilisk. But Cookie Controller does. It's missing the perm button though (not in customize) which makes it more irritating to use.

Actually, it looks like on Basilisk the perm button has gotten combined with the Toggle button. I just installed it on Fx 52.9 ESR and both buttons are there. I don't need it on Fx though since DOM storage is globally denied there as it still should be in Basilisk.

Not sure why anyone thinks webs sites will break with indexed data base denied. I can think of very few things that are more offensive in a browser than it allowing sites to store the very stuff a user NEVER wants stored. If this breaks a site then I would wish to never visit such a site. The only site I have seen that does get broken if I set Cookie Controller in Basilisk to deny dome Storage is Microsoft support. That's pathetic because sometimes I have to access that given that I have this horrific Windows 10. But I will just install a different browser that I use ONLY to access Microsoft support.
Last edited by Smokey20 on 2018-11-20, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-11-20, 08:50

So, "dom.indexedDB.enabled;false" is what? It does nothing now but is still in about:config???