Why Basilisk?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

prosecco

Why Basilisk?

Unread post by prosecco » 2018-09-17, 16:56

I am getting slightly confused. I have been using Pale Moon since a couple years now, and already you cooked up another browser - Basilisk.

Am I supposed to migrate to this new browser now? Is there a good reason?

And BTW, there are even other new browsers as I noticed. An Iceweasel clone, etc.

Why not keep it simple? Why not concentrate on developing and improving Pale Moon?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Why Basilisk?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-09-17, 18:17

From the Basilisk homepage:
basilisk-browser.org wrote:Basilisk is primarily a reference application for development of the XUL platform it builds upon, and additionally a potential replacement for Firefox.
It's for development and testing, and also as a replacement for FF 52 for folks who may not wish to use Pale Moon, for one reason or another.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Why Basilisk?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-09-17, 18:59

To add to Isengrim's post:
prosecco wrote:
Am I supposed to migrate to this new browser now?
Only if you want to.
Is there a good reason?
Not if your happy with Pale Moon.
And BTW, there are even other new browsers as I noticed. An Iceweasel clone, etc.
Which has nothing to do with Pale Moon, Basilisk, nor Moonchild Productions.
Why not keep it simple? Why not concentrate on developing and improving Pale Moon?
That was the whole purpose of Basilisk. To test the XUL platform before moving Pale Moon over to it (with version 28).
Last edited by ron_1 on 2018-09-17, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.