Baslisk sluggish w/higher CPU use & continued memory consumption since 2018.08.17 - Stylish as probable cause

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

TreborG2
Moongazer
Moongazer

Baslisk sluggish w/higher CPU use & continued memory consumption since 2018.08.17 - Stylish as probable cause

Unread post by TreborG2 » 2018-08-22, 20:04

Spec: AMD Ryzen 1700x - 32G ram - Win10 Pro (current v1803 / build 17134.228)

Just a note to say in the past week or so, I started noticing Basilisk would become increasingly sluggish. A restart of Basilisk would find it chipper again, for a while, then back to very sluggish after some time.

I started looking at Task Manager and last night found Basilisk at 8% CPU and 9G of ram use .. *yes* NINE GIG!

As I sat watching, the memory continued to be incrementally consumed 200 ~ 600k at a time, and with the browser open, not me interacting with it in the background, the memory *never* decreased, it just continued to balloon.

I started disabling extensions, and thought the issue was TamperMonkey because the memory and CPU instantly stopped growing, but then checked its extension hadn't been updated any time recently. It didn't occur to me until later to see what else changed, and there found Stylish had updated on the 17th.

I disabled Stylish and enabled TamperMonkey, and after the initial loading of its components, CPU fell back to normal (under 1%) and memory stopped growing, and in fact some memory released.

Reading here on the forums for Stylish being removed, from Extensions on FF & Chrome, came to realize it was the culprit itself and without it memory consumption and CPU have remained less of an issue.

Installed Stylem (wanted to try Stylus but its giving a "corruption" error as has also been mentioned in the Stylish missing threads)

Main reason for this post, is so that there's reference to this issue for others to find. If you have Stylish installed, disable it and see if your memory and CPU use go down and stop ballooning your memory. If so .. you will probably need to ditch Stylish (plus given the controversy about its data use behind your back, you probably should ditch it anyway).

Smokey20

Re: Baslisk sluggish w/higher CPU use & continued memory consumption since 2018.08.17 - Stylish as probable cause

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-08-23, 05:15

I assume when Stylish updated it did so to the latest 3.x version? I had Stylish for Basilisk since Basilisk was first offered and had no problems but I was using version 2.0.7 the last (or close to last) good version from the original author. I have Basilisk configured so that it NOTIFIES about available extension updates but never does them until I ok updating and I always UNchecked Stylish so that it would NOT update to a tainted version when I updated other extensions.

When Stylish 3.x was removed from AMO, I tried to install Stylus on Basilisk and it wouldn't install. I posted about it here and was asked why I hadn't installed Stylem. That was the first I had heard of it. I installed it and it works great. Stylus is crippled because it cannot modify Basilisk UI but Stylem can, just as Stylish could, and that was why I had Stylish installed on several browsers. (I could care less about changing the look of various websites. Plus, I use WindowBlinds to modify the OS UI). I needed to be able to change the browsers UIs.

I posted about Stylem being a better choice in the Stylish reviews at AMO a couple of days ago since it works on more than Basilisk.