A question about basilisk, etc... Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

zapper

A question about basilisk, etc...

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-02, 14:10

Do you plan to put a stop to all the dialing back to home that Basilisk does with pings?

I used sudo tcpdump and for some reason it still shows a lot of dialing back.

On a less related note though, will you be supporting privacypossum.

It is supported currently by firefox-esr 52 and higher. As well as webext. Just wondering.
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-02, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: A question about basilisk, etc...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-02, 15:27

De-Mozification is an ongoing process.
That being said, contacting servers for various services/updates/etc. is normal.

Can't help you with the extension. As has been said many times: it is the task of extensions to be compatible with the thing they extend, never the other way around. If it's a web extension then your mileage may vary - it may or may not work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-07-03, 09:51

Including MOZ* variables (MOZ_Z_DEFLATEEND, MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH, etc.)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-03, 12:32

Latitude wrote:Including MOZ* variables (MOZ_Z_DEFLATEEND, MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH, etc.)?
Yes, MOZ_* -- if you want to help start deleting!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-07-03, 15:00

Moonchild wrote:Yes, MOZ_* -- if you want to help start deleting!
I mean renaming them to MCP_*.

(MCP = MoonChild Productions)

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-03, 16:29

Latitude wrote:I mean renaming them to MCP_*.

(MCP = MoonChild Productions)
They've been using MC (e.g. MC_BASILISK, MC_PALEMOON). But I really don't think everything needs renaming... :roll:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-03, 16:59

It's pointless to rename these things. They won't work any better with a different name, you know?

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-04, 20:06

Moonchild wrote:De-Mozification is an ongoing process.
That being said, contacting servers for various services/updates/etc. is normal.
Ah okay, I am sure you know this, but I meant the unneeded pinging. like dialing to amazon when I am not using amazon... etc...

Still, de-Mozification is good.

"Can't help you with the extension. As has been said many times: it is the task of extensions to be compatible with the thing they extend, never the other way around. If it's a web extension then your mileage may vary - it may or may not work."

Ah okay, so as long as it supports web extension at all, it is a problem. Even if it also works on legacy as well. Right? That is a shame, I guess I talk to my distro about this. heh.
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-04, 20:07, edited 2 times in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-07-04, 20:47

zapper wrote:I guess I talk to my distro about this.
If you want privacypossum to work in Basilisk, then the people you need to talk to are the privacypossum devs, not your disto devs.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-07-04, 23:38

Nigaikaze wrote:
If you want privacypossum to work in Basilisk, then the people you need to talk to are the privacypossum devs, not your disto devs.
And/or implement more WebExtension APIs in Basilisk.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-05, 02:19

SpockFan02 wrote:
Nigaikaze wrote:
And/or implement more WebExtension APIs in Basilisk.
I have done both to be honest.

Minus the implement webextension apis in basilisk of course...
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-05, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-05, 11:21

We're unlikely to put much (if any) time into adding more WebExtension APIs in Basilisk. Our stance is that if you want to use true browser-extending application-specific features, then you should be using XUL/overlay extensions that have full access to browser APIs, and not WebExtensions that are primarily content/web service focused. Since the APIs are already there in our other extension technologies, there's little reason to do double work (and potentially open up security holes due to the way WebExtensions plug into the browser).

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-05, 14:55

Moonchild wrote:We're unlikely to put much (if any) time into adding more WebExtension APIs in Basilisk. Our stance is that if you want to use true browser-extending application-specific features, then you should be using XUL/overlay extensions that have full access to browser APIs, and not WebExtensions that are primarily content/web service focused. Since the APIs are already there in our other extension technologies, there's little reason to do double work (and potentially open up security holes due to the way WebExtensions plug into the browser).
Fair enough, I did contact the dev of privacy possum, we will see what happens. :)

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-10, 20:50

zapper wrote:
Moonchild wrote:We're unlikely to put much (if any) time into adding more WebExtension APIs in Basilisk. Our stance is that if you want to use true browser-extending application-specific features, then you should be using XUL/overlay extensions that have full access to browser APIs, and not WebExtensions that are primarily content/web service focused. Since the APIs are already there in our other extension technologies, there's little reason to do double work (and potentially open up security holes due to the way WebExtensions plug into the browser).
Fair enough, I did contact the dev of privacy possum, we will see what happens. :)
Nevermind, I was wrong this was something my distro did. so yeah, forget it.
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-10, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-09-18, 10:02

zapper wrote: Fair enough, I did contact the dev of privacy possum, we will see what happens. :)
Any news from Privacy Possum? Would love to see it on Pale Moon
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Fedor2
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-09-18, 18:11

I have the patch for remove some most annoying leaking. I can share it on the next week, when i shall reach main work computer.