Question about Password Manager

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Smokey20

Question about Password Manager

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-05-29, 11:32

I love Basilisk Password Manager. I had never used any (browser based or third party) in the past as I didn't trust them.

Is there a way to get Basilisk to save the password rather than the BARCODE (library card number) at Hawaii State Public Library system? To login there, either on the main webpage, or on the older original software for the catalog search site, I have to enter my barcode from my library card and then my 4 digit self chosen PIN. Basilisk thinks the barcode (which is a string of ten numbers) is the password and saves it when it should save the 4 digit pin number as that is the password.

Actually, if I use the SECOND url below (I prefer the first url as that loads the older software for catalog search) Basilisk actually says it is saving both the barcode and the pin (but then it puts the barcode in the field for the pin and puts nothing in the barcode field). It is not a big thing and I can just type it in but I am curious as to why it thinks the barcode is the password.

https://ipac1.librarieshawaii.org/
or
https://hawaii.sdp.sirsi.net/client/en_US/default
Last edited by Smokey20 on 2018-05-29, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Question about Password Manager

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-05-30, 20:13

Smokey20 wrote:I love Basilisk Password Manager. I had never used any (browser based or third party) in the past as I didn't trust them.

Is there a way to get Basilisk to save the password rather than the BARCODE (library card number) at Hawaii State Public Library system? [...]
  1. Install Daniel Dawson's Saved Password Editor.
  2. Go to the login page(s) at your library's website.
  3. Click on the new toolbar button (it looks like a key), or pull down Tools -> Saved Passwords to open up your saved logins.
  4. Select the appropriate URL, hit the "Edit" button, and change the username to your barcode and the password to your PIN.
  5. Save changes.
  6. Go to about:preferences#security and tick the option "Automatically fill in log-in details".
  7. Reload library login page and see if it works.
ImageHTH
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

BillZM
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BillZM » 2018-05-31, 14:26

Can't you just edit the saved login's directly in Basilisk (without extensions)?

Preferences, Security, Saved Logins Right-click on your log-in of choice. Edit Username and/or Password.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-06-02, 11:45

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12156

Heck. Your solution works after many, many attempts and only worked twice after numerous attempts.

Even though the password manager now has my bar code shown in the manager as the user name, when I go to the library's login page, Basilisk has automatically added the pin number in the bar code entry field. I have to erase that and Basilisk keeps putting it back! Eventually, I get it erased where it stays erased and then SOMETIMES Basilisk offers the bar code and I can click on it and Basilsk puts it in the correct field and automatically then puts the pin number in the password field. Unfortunately, this happens only once in a while and after too much effort and time. :(

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-06-02, 11:55

BillZM wrote:Can't you just edit the saved login's directly in Basilisk (without extensions)?

Preferences, Security, Saved Logins Right-click on your log-in of choice. Edit Username and/or Password.
I already tried that before I posted. It doesn't work, I am guessing, because this is a barcode instead of what Basilisk expects for a user name. Besides, Basilisk, for some reason, insists on putting the 4 digit pin, which is the password, into the user name field instead of the password field. Plus, it puts it there automatically so that it is there in the wrong field from the moment I open the login page. Plus, Basilisk is very stubborn about refusing to let the pin in the user name field be deleted by me so I can type the barcode in. I have to try many times before I can delete it and have it stay deleted.

I'm closing Basilisk now for the night and tomorrow when I start it fresh...just MAYBE it will work right...actually, it has been a long time since I rebooted this computer. I'll do that first tomorrow. Who knows, maybe gracious1's solution will work right then.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-06-03, 06:53

I did Microsoft's May 21 cumulative rollup for 1709 today and that process rebooted the computer. (I have control of Windows Updates and do them on MY schedule and from Microsoft catalog).

Now, memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12156, solution does NOT work AT ALL. :( It's like I didn't install Saved Pasword Editor. I don't know if Microsoft's quality update of version 1709 of Windows 10 had anything to do with this extension not working at all today or not.