Private browsing doesn't block trackers Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Hitchhiker

Private browsing doesn't block trackers

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-05-04, 12:53

I checked to make sure that tracking protection was already enabled, but Privacy Badger shows a number of trackers functioning in spite of that. Here's a screenshot:

I checked the same page on FF52.7.3 ESR and that also behaves the same way. I'm pretty sure that in the past Privacy Badger was automatically disabled when private browsing was enabled, but I might be wrong.

Has something changed which implies that not all trackers with be blocked now?

By the way, the three trackers shown in red on Privacy Badger have been blocked for a long time on other sites.
Last edited by Hitchhiker on 2018-05-04, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Private browsing doesn't block trackers

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-04, 15:49

The tracking protection list in use by default is "Disconnect Basic" which allows a lot of Facebook and Google crap along with some other popular trackers in order to avoid breaking too many sites.
If you want to block all trackers, use "Strict" protection. It can be found in preferences.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-05-04, 18:49

You should know that "private browsing" is about local privacy of your data, i.e.: not leaving traces of your activity on the computer you are using. It does not aim to make you untracked or anonymous on the web.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-05-05, 06:59

adesh wrote:The tracking protection list in use by default is "Disconnect Basic" which allows a lot of Facebook and Google crap along with some other popular trackers in order to avoid breaking too many sites.
If you want to block all trackers, use "Strict" protection. It can be found in preferences.
Thanks adesh.
Moonchild wrote:You should know that "private browsing" is about local privacy of your data, i.e.: not leaving traces of your activity on the computer you are using. It does not aim to make you untracked or anonymous on the web.
Thanks for that as well Moonchild. Also worth knowing.