Private browsing doesn't block trackers Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: satrow

Hitchhiker
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Private browsing doesn't block trackers

Unread postby Hitchhiker » Fri, 04 May 2018, 12:53

I checked to make sure that tracking protection was already enabled, but Privacy Badger shows a number of trackers functioning in spite of that. Here's a screenshot:

I checked the same page on FF52.7.3 ESR and that also behaves the same way. I'm pretty sure that in the past Privacy Badger was automatically disabled when private browsing was enabled, but I might be wrong.

Has something changed which implies that not all trackers with be blocked now?

By the way, the three trackers shown in red on Privacy Badger have been blocked for a long time on other sites.
Last edited by Hitchhiker on Fri, 04 May 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Private browsing doesn't block trackers  Topic is solved

Unread postby adesh » Fri, 04 May 2018, 15:49

The tracking protection list in use by default is "Disconnect Basic" which allows a lot of Facebook and Google crap along with some other popular trackers in order to avoid breaking too many sites.
If you want to block all trackers, use "Strict" protection. It can be found in preferences.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Private browsing doesn't block trackers

Unread postby Moonchild » Fri, 04 May 2018, 18:49

You should know that "private browsing" is about local privacy of your data, i.e.: not leaving traces of your activity on the computer you are using. It does not aim to make you untracked or anonymous on the web.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Hitchhiker
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Private browsing doesn't block trackers

Unread postby Hitchhiker » Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:59

adesh wrote:The tracking protection list in use by default is "Disconnect Basic" which allows a lot of Facebook and Google crap along with some other popular trackers in order to avoid breaking too many sites.
If you want to block all trackers, use "Strict" protection. It can be found in preferences.

Thanks adesh.

Moonchild wrote:You should know that "private browsing" is about local privacy of your data, i.e.: not leaving traces of your activity on the computer you are using. It does not aim to make you untracked or anonymous on the web.

Thanks for that as well Moonchild. Also worth knowing.

Return to “Basilisk”