When will basilisk support, webext addons. Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

zapper

When will basilisk support, webext addons.

Unread post by zapper » 2018-04-30, 23:54

I am wondering because, noscript and nano-adblocker would be awesome to have working in your browser.

I am also wondering if you will always support web extension addons. Or, if you will implement some method to get those addons into xul format. Such as noscript 10 and nano adblocker and, etc...

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: When will basilisk support, webext addons.

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-05-01, 03:34

Basilisk supports some WebExtension APIs but it is experimental at best and should be considered as such.

A XUL version of NoScript is available. I believe the version is 5.0.6 released in 2017. I doubt there is a XUL version of nano adblock, but there are other alternative adblockers out there that are compatible with Basilisk.

Unfortunately, the process for converting WebExtensions to XUL extensions is rewriting them manually. As far as I know, there is no way to automatically convert between extension formats.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-05-01, 06:06

I had several webex addons for the previous version of Basilisk. With the current version, only one works.

As for nano adblock isn't that based on ublock origin? Why not use ublock instead? It is excellent. (Add the No Coin filter list). I have it on Basilisk, Fx 52 ESR and Vivaldi (which uses the Chrome version of ublock). I also use Privacy Badger latest version.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-05-01, 12:28

If improved WebExtensions API is what you are looking for then you will have to contribute to the effort of improving it.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-05-01, 23:07

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If improved WebExtensions API is what you are looking for then you will have to contribute to the effort of improving it.
Contribute as in pay money, or contribute as in help with the source code, or beta testing? Just curious.

I was just asking when more than if btw.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-05-01, 23:09

Smokey20 wrote:I had several webex addons for the previous version of Basilisk. With the current version, only one works.

As for nano adblock isn't that based on ublock origin? Why not use ublock instead? It is excellent. (Add the No Coin filter list). I have it on Basilisk, Fx 52 ESR and Vivaldi (which uses the Chrome version of ublock). I also use Privacy Badger latest version.
Actually, I was trying to point this out, but I am talking about when, Mozilla deprecates legacy completely.

And by the way, what do you think will happen once that happens?

Do you really think people will still make legacy addons? I doubt it... so webext support will be invaluable. I really mean it. IF you want me to test webext and report, I will do it. Just tell me how I can help. with that. :)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-08, 16:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:If improved WebExtensions API is what you are looking for then you will have to contribute to the effort of improving it.
What version of Firefox does Basilisk support of WebExtensions API equal to?

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-05-08, 16:53

Latitude wrote:What version of Firefox does Basilisk support of WebExtensions API equal to?
IMHO: FF 52 ESR + WebExtensions PRs
Last edited by GMforker on 2018-05-08, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-08, 19:54

zapper wrote:
Contribute as in pay money, or contribute as in help with the source code, or beta testing? Just curious.

I was just asking when more than if btw.
Pale Moon is a project where the user sometimes has to contribute to get something to happen. Especially if some feature is not really top priority or the developers are unable to implement it (for example because way too time intensive or too much effort which would take away the time of other more important tasks) but the user wants to have it. So, for advanced Webextensions support (all the code Mozilla has inserted in Firefox since the first version with Webextensions) - it is "user patches welcome" ;)

Or you find someone who is willing to contribute for Pale Moon ;)
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-05-08, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-05-08, 20:12

I was just asking when more than if btw.[/quote]

Pale Moon is a project where the user sometimes has to contribute to get something to happen. Especially if some feature is not really top priority or the developers are unable to implement it (for example because way too time intensive or too much effort which would take away the time of other more important tasks) but the user wants to have it. So, for advanced Webextensions support (all the code Mozilla has inserted in Firefox since the first version with Webextensions) - it is "user patches welcome" ;)

Or you find someone who is willing to contribute for Pale Moon ;)[/quote]

So another words, its more than just donating? Okay. That is good to know.

Btw, Noscript is why I have used firefox as long as I have. It is extremely, extremely secure.

Been on a few unsafe sites in my day, Noscript prevented a lot of crap even when I used to use windows 8 or w/e you want to call it. I am not fond of giving respect to windows... ;)
Last edited by zapper on 2018-05-08, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-08, 20:22

zapper wrote:So another words, its more than just donating? Okay. That is good to know.
As said, you want a feature which can not be enhanced or implemented by the dev team themselves for various reasons... then the user has to find a way to get it done - as said, there are different ways to tackle such a problem. Find out how to code and deliver the patches on your own, you have a friend who can do that for you or find someone different elsewhere who has the knowledge and the interest in helping ;)

Alternatively you just can install a secondary browser which delivers that feature for you so you can switch between products for different needs.

A problem... different ways to handle it ;)

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-09, 13:38

GMforker wrote:IMHO: FF 52 ESR + WebExtensions PRs
Oh, seems janekptacijarabaci is working on it.
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-05-09, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-05-09, 13:59

Latitude wrote:seems janekptacijarabaci is working on it.
However, currently I have no plans to develop.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2018-05-10, 10:51

GMforker wrote:However, currently I have no plans to develop.
You are janekptacijarabaci on Github?
Last edited by Latitude on 2018-05-10, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-05-10, 11:11

Well are webextensions really needed by the majority.?
I suppose a poll would answer this question,although im happy with what i have.

A further forum poll could give a clearer picture to the developers as to what extensions are being used and whether webextensions are really needed.
For me personally its a no-no.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-05-10, 11:42

Moonraker wrote:Well are webextensions really needed by the majority.?
I suppose a poll would answer this question,although im happy with what i have.

A further forum poll could give a clearer picture to the developers as to what extensions are being used and whether webextensions are really needed.
For me personally its a no-no.
I do not think there is a poll needed. As the situation is pretty clear.

- Present and future Pale Moon and Webextensions - no
- Basilisk/UXP and Webextensions - partly

And whoever wants more has to create patches from the Mozilla repositories on their own or with the help of friends or hired persons which do the job for a bit of money or hired persons who are interested in volunteering for free ;)

And if no solution from above is possible, one can still install "Chromefox" as a secondary browser for some wanted Webextensions or if it is impossible to live without full Webextensions support and a secondary browser is a no-go - such users will switch anyway in the end back to "Chromefox" :ugeek:

Also... there is a HIGH CHANCE that the topic Webextensions in UXP/Basilisk is obsoleting itself anyway sooner or later...

Because

A) as Mozilla constantly is tinkering with the Webextensions code - it is in general way too time consuming to port over all the changes which are inserted.

B) As Mozilla is restructuring their whole code-base since Firefox 57 - and XUL is not on their list anymore and they are including Rust and whatever for components... there is a high chance that future changes are simply incompatible with the Basilisk/UXP code and rewriting them to fit into Basilisk/UXP would be way too time consuming AND too complex to do. And in the worst case.. just plain and simply impossible.

That are the neutral inevitable facts.

My own small unimportant opinion is that i believe that Webextensions have anyway no future here - seen from the goals of the Pale Moon project, and considering the non-deniable facts i would love to see Webextensions based code removed completely out of Basilisk/UXP - as this only adds additional layers of complexity - and if no-one is doing active maintenance of that specific code part it ends sooner or later as nothing more than some kind of of bit-rot with only a couple of very simple Webextensions fully working with Basilisk/UXP.
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-05-10, 12:10, edited 11 times in total.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2018-05-10, 16:20

Latitude wrote:You are janekptacijarabaci on Github?
Yes.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-05-12, 23:45

GMforker wrote:
Latitude wrote:seems janekptacijarabaci is working on it.
However, currently I have no plans to develop.
Last post I guess and then I don't care if you lock:

Would you change your mind if enough people were willing to donate for such a purpose?

or would that not be enough?

EDIT: or better yet make a script blocker like effect built into basilisk and have it disabled by default but available as a plugin to be activated if you so desire. It would be meant to be like noscript.

I would definitely not care about webext addons if you did this. :)
Last edited by zapper on 2018-05-12, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.