Will this workaround break anything?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Will this workaround break anything?

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-05-04, 22:34

The background to this question is this thread about a bug I posted here. With the help of some members of the Mint forum, I found out a workaround. The workaround is to make the file xulstore.json found in the profile folder "read only." I've done that on Firefox ESR but not yet on Basilisk. My question is this: are there any drawbacks to making this file read only that I haven't come across yet?

Also I hope this workaround will give some clues as to how this bug can be solved. :)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Will this workaround break anything?

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-05, 13:24

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-support-troubleshooting-guide#w_reset-xulstore-or-localstore-file wrote: The xulstore.json file in the Firefox profile folder stores information about toolbars, window positioning, and other interface elements in Firefox 34 and above (the localstore.rdf file was used in previous versions). If changes to toolbars and window sizes are not saved, toolbar icons are missing, or if there are strange problems with the browser interface, resetting this file can help.
So, there should not be any problems other than missing out any interface changes you make (unless the browser considers the file being read-only as a critical condition).

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-07-28, 22:22

So after all this time I made the file xulstore.json "read only" just today. Right after doing that, I noticed I was still on the older version of Decentraleyes (1.4.1). When I tried to update it with the same .xpi file I used for Pale Moon, I got a message that it wasn't compatible which perplexes me because I'm pretty sure I used the same .xpi on both browsers last time. Anyway I downloaded the version marked for FF from here, and that one installed, but then I had both versions (1.4.1 and 1.4.2) installed. I had to manually remove version 1.4.1.

My question is, did making xulstore.json "read only" cause this issue?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-08-02, 22:48

I wrote:
So after all this time I made the file xulstore.json "read only" just today. Right after doing that, I noticed I was still on the older version of Decentraleyes (1.4.1). When I tried to update it with the same .xpi file I used for Pale Moon, I got a message that it wasn't compatible which perplexes me because I'm pretty sure I used the same .xpi on both browsers last time. Anyway I downloaded the version marked for FF from here, and that one installed, but then I had both versions (1.4.1 and 1.4.2) installed. I had to manually remove version 1.4.1.

My question is, did making xulstore.json "read only" cause this issue?
I'll answer my own question. I just updated Decentrayleyes on my wife's Firefox ESR, and the same thing happened, so I guess the answer is "no." I will ask about what happened on the Decentrayleyes thread.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-03, 11:34

When I tried to update it with the same .xpi file I used for Pale Moon, I got a message that it wasn't compatible
Does Basilisk use it's own UUID (GUID, whatever it might be called)?

The "PM" Decentraleyes only lists <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id> (& 27 to 28 at that).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-03, 11:37

Basilisk uses the Firefox GUID
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-03, 11:53

Then that explains why a PM specific version (no mention of "FF") will not install in Basilisk.