Addon Validator tool fails to detect .xpi extension Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Hitchhiker

Addon Validator tool fails to detect .xpi extension

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-26, 14:42

I just tried to upload an addon called Text Legibility to the Addon Validator tool for testing since Basilisk detects it as corrupt and won't install it. However, the tool rejects it with the message that, "This script does not support WebExtensions".

The addon installs on FF52.7.3 ESR without a problem however.

In the FF Profiles / extensions folder it's identified as {4fe52e6f-3e1a-471a-a32f-193dbc3c647d}.xpi

I tried copying it from its default location into another folder and then trying to upload it from there, but that didn't help either unfortunately.

Any suggestions anyone?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Addon Validator tool fails to detect .xpi extension

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-26, 14:56

The problem is pretty much what it says on the tin. The extension you're trying to work with is a WebExtension, and the validator tool doesn't support WebExtensions. My assumption is that the validator is specifically meant for testing with Pale Moon, which also doesn't support WebExtensions.

Afraid I don't have any advice as to why the extension isn't working in Basilisk.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-26, 16:50

You are correct. But it does tell you something about a webextension.. That it is a webextension!

RESOLVED WONTFIX
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-26, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-27, 06:56

Isengrim wrote:The problem is pretty much what it says on the tin. The extension you're trying to work with is a WebExtension, and the validator tool doesn't support WebExtensions. My assumption is that the validator is specifically meant for testing with Pale Moon, which also doesn't support WebExtensions.

Afraid I don't have any advice as to why the extension isn't working in Basilisk.
As far as I'm aware, Firefox 52.7.3 ESR doesn't support WebExtensions. That being the case, how come the addon installs on that version of FF without a problem?

Also, according to the versions list, there was only ever one version of the addon released namely 2.0.4 on December 29, 2016. I don't think WebEx was available back then was it?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-27, 10:21

Hitchhiker wrote: As far as I'm aware, Firefox 52.7.3 ESR doesn't support WebExtensions. That being the case, how come the addon installs on that version of FF without a problem?

Also, according to the versions list, there was only ever one version of the addon released namely 2.0.4 on December 29, 2016. I don't think WebEx was available back then was it?
Firefox 48 was the first release to support a "stable" WebExtensions API. Also keep in mind that appearances can be deceiving - there are many under-the-hood changes between Basilisk and Firefox 52. Basilisk's support of WebExtension add-ons is considered experimental at best.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-27, 15:09

Isengrim wrote:Firefox 48 was the first release to support a "stable" WebExtensions API. Also keep in mind that appearances can be deceiving - there are many under-the-hood changes between Basilisk and Firefox 52. Basilisk's support of WebExtension add-ons is considered experimental at best.
Pity, but I figured out a workaround which is to switch to system colors on those sites which use those horrible pale grey fonts. It removes the background colors of course, but otherwise works quite well.

Thanks for the response anyway.