Windows control buttons have disappeared in Basilisk 2018.04.24

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Smokey20

Windows control buttons have disappeared in Basilisk 2018.04.24

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-04-25, 10:47

A known problem on Fx 52 (and back to about Fx 38) is the missing Windows control buttons in the upper right corner of the browser. They are there but cannot be seen (there is blank space where they should be) and you have to blindly click about hoping to hit on the one you want. I've tried innumerable "fixes" on Fx 52.7 ESR. Nothing works on Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro. So, I was delighted when Basilisk forked off of Fx 55 because the problem is fixed in that version of Fx and so I had the missing buttons back.

Earlier today, I upgraded Basilisk on my Windows 8 Pro computer and promptly lost the buttons again. Ugh.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Windows control buttons have disappeared in Basilisk 2018.04.24

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-26, 04:53

Basilisk Take 1 aka moebius was never based on Firefox 55.. It just CALLED its self Firefox 55 when asked what Firefox it was. Most of the base code was Firefox 53 with a bunch of stuff from 54 and newer..

Basilisk Take 2 is originally based off ESR52 for reasons stated fifteen times elsewhere. Of course now that everyone is focused on it it will get the same treatment as we have done in the past in addition to the stuff we had to redo for Take 2.

For the time being you could work around the issue by enabling title bars on Windows 8+ by going into Customize mode and clicking the Title Bar button..
titlebar-button.png

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-26, 12:24

Smokey20 wrote:A known problem on Fx 52 (and back to about Fx 38) is the missing Windows control buttons in the upper right corner of the browser. They are there but cannot be seen (there is blank space where they should be) and you have to blindly click about hoping to hit on the one you want. I've tried innumerable "fixes" on Fx 52.7 ESR. Nothing works on Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro. So, I was delighted when Basilisk forked off of Fx 55 because the problem is fixed in that version of Fx and so I had the missing buttons back.

Earlier today, I upgraded Basilisk on my Windows 8 Pro computer and promptly lost the buttons again. Ugh.
As a workaround:
  • Windows key + M = minimize the browser to the taskbar (Windows key + Shift + M to reinstate it).
    Double click the title bar to maximize or minimize.
    Alt+F4 = exit the browser or right click it on the Windows taskbar and close it from there.
I have Windows 8.1 and all the buttons are visible top right.

Try creating a new profile to determine whether a bare bones version fixes the problem. You don't have to delete the one you're using now.
Last edited by Hitchhiker on 2018-04-26, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-04-27, 06:32

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Basilisk Take 1 aka moebius was never based on Firefox 55.. It just CALLED its self Firefox 55 when asked what Firefox it was.

For the time being you could work around the issue by enabling title bars on Windows 8+ by going into Customize mode and clicking the Title Bar button..

titlebar-button.png
Yes, you have pointed out that Basilisk called itself Fx 55 when asked but it wasn't based on it. Now I recall reading that here. Sorry, I am getting forgetful.

Thanks for reminding me that enabling title bars fixes the missing Windows buttons. I want the buttons withOUT the title bars but, yes, for now that's a good work around.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-27, 20:34

No problem.. This will be looked into..