Addon: Self-Destructing Cookies has stopped working Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Hitchhiker

Addon: Self-Destructing Cookies has stopped working

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-24, 15:28

I don't know if this has anything to do with the latest update to Basilisk, but Self-Destructing Cookies has stopped working on some sites.

On my webmail login all I get is a blank page, but the site loads properly with the same addon installed on FF52.7.3 ESR. I have a paid for account there, so it's important that I can access it all the time. I've tried safe mode, but the problem persists. Even if I set SDC to "Never", it still loads a blank page after reloading the site. I've tried whitelisting the site but that hasn't helped either.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Hitchhiker on 2018-04-24, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Addon: Self-Destructing Cookies has stopped working

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-04-24, 15:39

Have you tried re-installing the extension?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-24, 15:53

I confirm the issue with https://mail.tutanota.com, but this has nothing to do with Self-Destructing Cookies.

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-24, 16:18

JustOff wrote:I confirm the issue with https://mail.tutanota.com, but this has nothing to do with Self-Destructing Cookies.
Yes, I just created a new profile and still get the blank page without any addons installed at all.

Incidentally Self-Destructing Cookies also reverts to a red button on this forum, but I can still login without refreshing the page if I choose the session cookie option. It should retain the same setting each time, but doesn't.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-24, 21:20

I use an extension called CookieShield (v. 0.4.0), and its behavior has also been degraded by the update to Basilisk 2018.04.24.

For example, I just tried to log into my PayPal account, and I had to re-click "Allow cookies" although that setting had been working since the last Basilisk update.

Hmmm, I just tested it with EBay. Same problem. :cry:
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-24, 21:46

Hitchhiker wrote:
JustOff wrote:I confirm the issue with https://mail.tutanota.com, but this has nothing to do with Self-Destructing Cookies.
Yes, I just created a new profile and still get the blank page without any addons installed at all.
I did a little research and filled out the issue about this error.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-24, 21:50

Sorry guys, but this is a major problem.

I have to enter the cookies permission again with every new session.

I respect Moonchild's position about going back to old versions, but this is a usage killer for me.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-24, 21:58

JoeyG wrote:Sorry guys, but this is a major problem.
Basilisk is development software. This means that it should be considered more or less "beta" at all times; it may have some bugs and is provided as-is, with potential defects.

This means that you can not expect that it will always work without errors, but rather quite the reverse, since it is used as a test site for development.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-24, 22:04

JustOff wrote:This means that you can not expect that it will always work without errors, but rather quite the reverse, since it is used as a test site for development.
Gotcha'. I know this. I'll certainly keep Basilisk on my machine, but I simply can't use today's update as my main browser. I've gone back to an older version that I had saved on my machine.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-24, 22:09

JoeyG wrote:I've gone back to an older version that I had saved on my machine.
But don't forget that without reports of errors they will never be fixed.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-24, 22:16

JustOff wrote:
JoeyG wrote:I've gone back to an older version that I had saved on my machine.
But don't forget that without reports of errors they will never be fixed.
I think I can say with confidence that, based on the postings here, this particular issue will attract the devs attention sooner or later.

And since this issue is related to an extension that doesn't work, what "errors" would the dev see?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-04-24, 23:15

Whatever the issue is, please do not expect it to be fixed yesterday.

This particular update is a major changeover to a different Mozilla fork. AS THE RELEASE NOTES STATE regressions are possible (and likely at this point). They will be addressed, but not instantly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-24, 23:28

Moonchild wrote: ... They will be addressed, but not instantly.
I know you're a small team working on a shoestring.

You're doing a great job. Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-25, 04:45

Remember, Basilisk is in a permanent beta state. As the Mozilla Public License states:
Covered Software is provided under this License on an “as is” basis, without warranty of any kind, either expressed, implied, or statutory, including, without limitation, warranties that the Covered Software is free of defects, merchantable, fit for a particular purpose or non-infringing. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Covered Software is with You. Should any Covered Software prove defective in any respect, You (not any Contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair, or correction.
Have a nice day!
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-25, 04:47, edited 2 times in total.

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-25, 06:55

Another addon called Legibility has stopped working now and all attempts to reinstall it again results in the message that "This addon cannot be installed because it appears to be corrupt".

There's a workaround documented on the Mozillazine forum but it doesn't appear to work on Basilisk. Also, removing the prefs.js file results in SDC removing all cookies, so make sure you checkmark the option to "Undelete cookies" in its options menu first if you want to try it yourself otherwise they'll be gone forever.

One other thing I've noticed as well since the lastest update is that "palemoon.org" no longer appears as a prefix to the search string in the location bar when doing a search with DuckDuckGo using the context menu. I don't know if that means the devs aren't getting paid anymore or not, but I just thought I'd mention it.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2018-04-25, 07:13

Hitchhiker wrote:One other thing I've noticed as well since the lastest update is that "palemoon.org" no longer appears as a prefix to the search string in the location bar when doing a search with DuckDuckGo using the context menu.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q= shows up from context searches for me.

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-25, 12:06

satrow wrote:
Hitchhiker wrote:One other thing I've noticed as well since the lastest update is that "palemoon.org" no longer appears as a prefix to the search string in the location bar when doing a search with DuckDuckGo using the context menu.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q= shows up from context searches for me.
Well, that's odd. Yesterday I didn't see it at all, but I just tried it again and it seems to be working now. Weird.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-04-25, 12:16

Hitchhiker wrote:
JustOff wrote:I confirm the issue with https://mail.tutanota.com
The issue was resolved; the fix will be available in the next release.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-04-25, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2018-04-26, 12:47

I guess the problem with the cookies-related extensions is part of a bigger issue.

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/265

I'm looking forward to the next version of Basilisk. Thanks to the devs for their commitment and effort.

Hitchhiker

Unread post by Hitchhiker » 2018-04-27, 07:14

The latest update has fixed the Tutanota login site not opening.

Thanks guys.