Quickly access a particular search engine from URL bar Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Quickly access a particular search engine from URL bar

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-20, 16:44

I just installed a new search engine from the mycroft project. I have traditionally assigned keywords to these search engines, but FF eliminated that recently, and I don't see how in Basilisk I can set up keywords for these installed search engines. Just turning that search into a bookmark doesn't do the trick. Yes, I can install a keyword for a bookmark, but it doesn't function as a search, it just searches DDG for that string of text.

(1) is there any way to set up a keyword for an installed search engine in Basilisk? or

(2) Is there a way to get installed search engines, to show up when I type in something in the URL bar, like they do in the search bar? I haven't used a distinct search bar in ages, I'm used to hitting Ctrl + L for all URLs and searches, so I'd like to keep that going if I can.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Quickly access a particular search engine from URL bar

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-20, 18:41

This may not be quite what you're looking for, but since you use DDG... have you tried their bang search feature?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-04-20, 19:16

This will depend if we decide to preserve the Basilisk search behavior along with the rest of the autocomplete related features that were mutated into Firefox-isms. It may become closer to how it was before New Search and New Awesomebar because that as a toolkit feature is more generically useful.

Deff not married to it and we know how many users hated it.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-04-20, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-20, 19:20

Tried the only one that looked like it was what I was looking for, but it isn't giving me large images only.

Just realized that on PM this search engine is still working :)
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2018-04-20, 22:04

EDIT: re: DDG search bangs---Tried the only one that looked like it was what I was looking for, but it isn't giving me large images only.

Just realized that on PM the search engine that I was trying to install, is still working :)
Last edited by paulri on 2018-04-20, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-04-21, 22:26

Isengrim wrote:This may not be quite what you're looking for, but since you use DDG... have you tried their bang search feature?
DDG is default for me for years. I've never heard of "bang search feature". What is it?

I haven't used a search bar in any browser ever. I hate them and hide them in browsers. I just type "s" in Basilisk address bar and the first suggestion is start.duckduckgo.com.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-04-22, 03:34

Smokey20 wrote: I've never heard of "bang search feature". What is it?

https://duckduckgo.com/bang

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-04-22, 22:30

coffeebreak wrote:
Smokey20 wrote: I've never heard of "bang search feature". What is it?

https://duckduckgo.com/bang
Thank you! That's cool IF it works. The Washington Post newspaper is listed three different ways. Only one way brings a search of the newspaper for whatever term you put in. The other two listings simply send you to the front page of the Washington Post website. It's too iffy for me.