Lazarus and Textarea Cache Add-ons

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

alcoed

Lazarus and Textarea Cache Add-ons

Unread post by alcoed » 2018-02-15, 15:44

I've encountered two add-ons which appear to install properly but then do not function; Lazarus (2.3.1) and Textarea Cache (3.17.0). In both cases, the relevant context menu items which are supposed to be added by installing do not appear when right-clicking in a text box. Other add-ons I've installed add context-menu items as they should (for example Last Pass). Anyone else seen this issue, perhaps with other add-ons as well?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Lazarus and Textarea Cache Add-ons

Unread post by Sajadi » 2018-02-15, 16:51

If it is a Webextension - Keep in mind that Webextension support of Basilisk is only experimental and it is for sure not the primary development focus of the Basilisk/Pale Moon team. There is NO guarantee that Webextensions work 100% in Basilisk.

Basilisk is a fork and does not share future engine's of Mozilla's Firefox, there is not a constant exchange of all what Mozilla implements in their new engine revisions. Things which are seen as important are going to be cherry-picked and brought over if possible and feasible.

I guess the term which is fitting in here is: Patches welcome

Means.. users want the most newest Webextension development in Basilisk - they have to get ready for a certain degree of self initiative - finding out how something works/how it is developed and delivering that knowledge or finding people who are willing to contribute that knowledge - as the Basilisk/Pale Moon developers have not the manpower like Mozilla to do as they can do.

Hope you understand that downside of the coin. :wave:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2018-02-15, 17:01, edited 4 times in total.

DonJuane

Unread post by DonJuane » 2018-11-28, 19:08

Hi, I've worked in the IT industry for 40 years, yes that is even from pre-Internet days up until today. I have experienced a wide-scoped career in the IT industry and I have to say that two of the most major setbacks to my productivity have been the following:

- loss of Lazarus support on Firefox
- Firefox's vast re-direction a few years ago to the bloated misfit it has become

So please give the attention due for restoring a Lazarus style "form memory" tool

Thank you and also thanks for Pale Moon, I just hope it lasts. With Firefox a total memory occupier and Chrome a personality extractor, there's basically going to be nothing left if you ever leave the scene.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2018-11-28, 23:15

Textarea Cache is a takeover of a much older abandoned Textarea Cache which I began using on Fx many, many years ago...Fx4 maybe? This new Textarea Cache works on Fx 51 and above and I was so grateful that someone took the old addon and made this one.

I have 3.20.0 on Basilisk. I first installed it when I got Basilisk over a year ago. (I also have it installed on Fx 52.9 ESR). I would be devastated if it didn't work on Basilisk! It's one of my most important addons. It was torture using Fx before the original Textarea Cache was offered....just torture and I never could and still do not understand why something like this was not incorporated into Fx itself. To me, it is essential.

It works fine for me on Basilisk. I don't understand though what you mean by "context menu items don't appear when right clicking in a text box". All the many years I have used this extension (original and now the current one), i have never known it to do anything on a right click context menu in a text box. This extension simply does an essential thing...it captures what you type in a text box (like now as I type this reply) and saves it. If something causes my browser to freeze or in other ways causes loss of this text this essential extension has captured it and all I need do is click on the extension's icon on the right of the address bar and choose the correct saved text, click copy at the bottom of the screen and then paste that in the blank text box. It works great.