Basilisk/Firefox ESR/Default Profile Migration

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

pintorama
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Basilisk/Firefox ESR/Default Profile Migration

Unread post by pintorama » 2018-01-27, 23:32

I came to Basilisk ten days ago from Firefox ESR, which had been my browser since August 2017. All I can say is this worked for me on both of my Windows 7 computers. It might not work for you depending on when you went to Firefox ESR from the standard Firefox. Of course, it is quite likely not to work for you, at all, if you went to Firefox 57, and then came to Basilisk. Still, it may be worth trying, as long as you make sure you back-up/copy your Basilisk default profile before attempting to do this with Firefox 57, or higher. Also, your results may be different if you migrated to ESR from Firefox after Firefox version 55, I believe, and either ESR version Firefox 52.2 or Firefox 52.3. Perhaps, someone in Basilisk "upper management" can clarify these points.

After I installed Basilisk (2018.01.05), I made a copy of my Basilisk default profile, xxxxx.default, which can be found, in Windows OS, in User/AppData/Roaming/MoonchildProductions/Basilisk/Profiles. After that, I deleted everything in the default Basilisk profile. I then went to where my Firefox ESR default profile is located and copied all the folder and files therein. After that, I pasted all these files and folder into the empty Basilisk profile. I then launched Basilisk.

What I saw was pretty much everything had perfectly migrated from Firefox ESR to Basilisk, including all my add-ons and all their settings (Which is a real time saver, especially if you use add-ons that have a lot of different settings, like Classic Theme Restorer, Colorful Tabs, Tab Mix Plus, etc.). So far, the only things that needed to be addressed, after migrating, were accessing Chase Bank, see my previous posting, and TabMixPlus lost its function of creating rows of tabs. This was fixed by going back to a previous TabMixPlus version, 0.5.04.pre.170525a (Released May 25, 2017).

Of course, if this doesn't work for you, all you have to do is close Basilisk, delete all the folders and files you placed in the Basilisk default profile from Firefox ESR, then go to your copy of the Basilisk default profile (you made at the beginning of this process), copy these files and folders, and then past them in the Basilisk xxxxx.default profile. When you re-launch Basilisk, everything should be the same before you attempted to migrate your Firefox ESR profile to Basilisk.

This type of profile migration works vastly better from ESR to Basilisk than the profile migration from ESR to Waterfox.
Last edited by pintorama on 2018-01-28, 00:01, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Basilisk/Firefox ESR/Default Profile Migration

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-28, 00:31

Basilisk can upgrade a profile from Firefox 52 and lower to its variant of the profile. You MIGHT get away with up to Firefox 54 but any higher than that and you will encounter problems some of them subtle. And know that it is a one way upgrade.. Preferences wise it is still a bad move to transplant profiles across applications.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-28, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.