relative path such as relative://ProfD

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

relative path such as relative://ProfD

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-01-18, 15:47

I am seeing that some relative path are not working in Basilisk whereas they were working in PM
For example :
relative://ProfD
relative://Home
relative://DefProfLRt
but the no relative path works fine even from address box
file://c:

I suppose it is due any recent Firefox modification because it also fails in FF Quantum.

Is there any way to refer to relative paths? Because using portable versions relative paths are very important

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: relative path such as relative://ProfD

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-18, 16:54

I wasn't aware of this pseudo-protocol existing but we should look into it on UXP find out why Mozilla killed or busted it.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-01-18, 17:36

relative:// is protocol (scheme) implemented by FoxyProxy add-on.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-18, 17:49

OH I see. I couldn't find any matches in xref guess that's why.. Wonder if that scheme is exposed to the web..

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-01-22, 10:05

JustOff wrote:relative:// is protocol (scheme) implemented by FoxyProxy add-on.
You are right @JustOff, it is regarding foxyproxy and also I verified that after intalling the foxyproxy addon in Basilisk, the path works in Url address box :)

I was thinking that these paths were standard variables of Firefox and should work even without foxyproxy because they are listed in the following Mozilla page

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets/File_I_O#Getting_special_files

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-01-22, 16:22

Curiously, after trying this relative path and Foxy Proxy addon with other FF browsers.
I find out that this protocol scheme is failing in the last versions of Firefox (Quantum) and Waterfox v56.

So, imho basilisk is much more backwards compatible than waterfox

dapgo wrote:
JustOff wrote:relative:// is protocol (scheme) implemented by FoxyProxy add-on.
You are right @JustOff, it is regarding foxyproxy and also I verified that after intalling the foxyproxy addon in Basilisk, the path works in Url address box :)

I was thinking that these paths were standard variables of Firefox and should work even without foxyproxy because they are listed in the following Mozilla page

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Code_snippets/File_I_O#Getting_special_files

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-22, 18:28

dapgo wrote:Curiously, after trying this relative path and Foxy Proxy addon with other FF browsers.
I find out that this protocol scheme is failing in the last versions of Firefox (Quantum) and Waterfox v56.

So, imho basilisk is much more backwards compatible than waterfox
Yeah because we picked the best possible spot and continued forward from there.. Waterfox, their scheme to try and create an appstore out of add-ons aside, is nothing more than a weekend hobby. It's creator has stated exactly that. Perhaps he wants to make it more than that with the trying to create a money generating marketplace.. But I don't think it will take off.. WHO THE HELL is gonna pay money for add-ons they can get free?

Now I want to be clear.. Donations for both browser developers and add-ons is one thing but to create yet another walled garden appstore deal is just gonna make things way worse.. Especially given that if the code is open source no one is gonna pay direct and if it isn't open source then well.. It is stifling open source.. No one wants that.. Except wallets. So whatever.. Let them try.. Perhaps when that fails they will work with us for the greater good of everyone or merely get out of the way.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-22, 18:38, edited 2 times in total.