Just posting a poll to see what you guys think

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Do you think Basilisk Browser is faster, slower or equal in speed to Pale Moon?

I don't care, I love it.
15%
Basilisk is faster
15%
Basilisk is slower
40%
Basilisk is equal
30%

Total votes: 20

batman

Just posting a poll to see what you guys think

Unread post by batman » 2018-01-16, 20:43

I like the browser, it'll replace FireFox (even though I don't have FF installed on my machine).

Cool name, and cool logo too. :lol: :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Just posting a poll to see what you guys think

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-16, 20:57

Roughly they are about the same.. Though a few small things are faster in Basilisk and a few things are slower. The same is true of Pale Moon when comparing to Basilisk. However, UXP will get faster over time.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-16, 21:47

Pale Moon is my daily driver; I really only use Basilisk as a testing platform of sorts, and to run Chatzilla. I haven't tried speedtesting with it for that reason.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-01-16, 21:59

Isengrim wrote:... and to run Chatzilla.
Why do you need Basilisk for this? Why not Pale Moon (or the standalone application)?

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2018-01-17, 10:44

I did run a few tests on my old dual core and Basilisk was the fastest browser I tested #2 was Firefox 57 #3 Vivaldi, PaleMoon was the slowest of the bunch

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-01-17, 11:21

Off-topic:
SpockMan02 wrote:Why do you need Basilisk for this? Why not Pale Moon (or the standalone application)?
I don't. ;) It was originally for testing with UXP but I ended up using it all the time. My copy of CZ is a psuedo-custom build anyway - 0.9.93 with the standalone patch applied, and instead of using the xulrunner stub I have a shortcut configured to run it with "basilisk -app".
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2018-01-17, 14:17

about a month ago i did a test using pageloadspeed: pm turned out to be the fastest, slightly slower ff esr 52, and a bit more basilisk. So it goes...
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-18, 10:40

You left out a choice: "I don't care, and I dislike Basilisk". :P :P :P
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-01-18, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-18, 10:50

Except.. You know this is where Pale Moon is heading right? So the experences now with a program built on UXP is relevant even if you dislike Basilisk. The application code is small and hardly matters vs the platform code.

Admittedly there is much to do in the platform yet to improve it as we start to look at porting Pale Moon to UXP. Best to be aware of these things long before a Pale Moon 28 even is a version number on the horizon.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-18, 10:57, edited 3 times in total.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-01-18, 11:39

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Except.. You know this is where Pale Moon is heading right? So the experences now with a program built on UXP is relevant even if you dislike Basilisk. The application code is small and hardly matters vs the platform code.
Oh, yes, I do understand that. And I look forward to UXP's perfection! So far, however, I find that Basilisk gives me similar problems that FF does, in terms of eating CPU and slowing things down to a crawl, especially the longer I leave the browser open.

But even if this is fixed, my distaste for Basilisk's UI would remain. I do not care for the Australis interface, and the Red Cats themes, while unsupported, work better on Pale Moon (with Theme Compatibility Provider) than on Basilisk. (For example, in Basilisk the hamburger menu is broken when you enable Red Cats, some of the buttons don't show ups correctly, etc.)

I was mainly saying if the "I don't care, and I like Basilisk" is a choice, then "I don't care, and I dislike Basilisk" should be a choice, too.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-01-18, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-01-20, 18:38

Basilisk is slower at some tasks and on some sites, faster on other sites, so a wash. Overall I say Pale Moon is faster.
However, Basilisk is at present the best browser for my needs.
Excellent folks working on it.
Support for older extensions, and some web extensions.
Renders a few sites correctly I cannot get right on Pale Moon
With a few addons, it can be made to look and work almost like my Pale Moon install.

Ideally Pale Moon's speed and UI with Basilisk site compatibility and Web Ext support would be my choice in a perfect world.
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-01-20, 18:49, edited 4 times in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-01-20, 18:43

I'm just hoping the marriage between Pale Moon and the new platform is a match made in heaven, as the saying goes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-20, 20:19

From a purely Pale Moon perspective there isn't anything to worry about. You like Pale Moon 27 don't you.. Well we are simply doing what we did already one last time and this time it isn't nearly as much of a fingers crossed affair. We have already charted those waters!

Also, there isn't some creepy 60 year old madman after my head plus a full fledged forum user revolt against me and a bunch of situations offline all happening at the same time that will cause me to drop out at the last moment.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-20, 20:26, edited 4 times in total.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-01-25, 01:49

After having switched to Basilisk as my primary on all machines; I've had to change my vote.
While I still feel Basilisk is slower at some tasks, I had to swap to the "I don't care, I love it camp."

Thanks for all the work folks. Pale Moon and Basilisk are my favorite browsers.