Install Basilisk on Arch

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Install Basilisk on Arch

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-01-16, 11:31

Good Day Folks,

I am running Arch and I recently read that installing programs from the AUR can be dodgy, due to configuration settings of the person performing the packaging.
Anyway, I installed Pale Moon on Arch with the pminstaller. Now I want to do the same for Basilisk.
What do you suggest I do? Install from AUR/extract the zip file or wait for a ./binsaller?

Thank You for reading
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Install Basilisk on Arch

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-16, 11:41

if the aur ends in -bin that is a repack of our binary but not sure they are keeping it updated.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-01-16, 12:17

OK cool, thank you.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-16, 12:27

Wait.. Basilisk.. k i dunno if any arch user has created a package repack or not..

tony-aln
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by tony-aln » 2018-01-16, 15:20

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Wait.. Basilisk.. k i dunno if any arch user has created a package repack or not..
There is a repack on AUR, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/basilisk-bin/ and it's updated, I checked. There's also one source package for the ones wanting to compile it https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/basilisk/ it seems to be on reasonably recent commit. fatboy, please note that you should check the PKGBUILD yourself before building / packaging any AUR package, as you probably should know.
To avoid any of that, download the tarball and extract it somewhere in your home directory, then execute the binary file basilisk and happy testing!