do we report webext bugs/issues on github? Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

ianas

do we report webext bugs/issues on github?

Unread post by ianas » 2017-12-28, 01:01

from
http://www.basilisk-browser.org/features.shtml
Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available.
am I to understand that webext support is planed or is it a consequence of branching FF55
there are a few webext addons I'd like to use in Basilisk but they seam broken,
according to this post
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17520&p=128769#p128769
Tampermonkey - it detects (in "rea/common.js") it as Firefox 55.
Basilisk - not implemented: bug #1258360
should I open a bug request regarding webext if it will be ignored as wontfix I don't want to overwhelm the developers but quite a few webext addons seam to need this feature
I still don't understand if webext is supported with Basilisk or it's an unplanned consequence of legacy mozilla code
Last edited by ianas on 2017-12-28, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

joe04

Re: do we report webext bugs/issues on github?

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-12-28, 22:08

ianas wrote: I still don't understand if webext is supported with Basilisk or it's an unplanned consequence of legacy mozilla code
My take is the latter: some measure of webext came with the forked Mozilla codebase, but it's already far behind the very active Firefox development of webext. Probably hundreds of patches behind and this point.

So to answer your thread question: No, probably a waste of time to report webext-specific issues.

Taking it one step further: perhaps webext support should be removed to avoid confusion about it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-28, 22:44

Our WebExtension support is experimental, as we clearly state on the website. The only thing we are specifically lacking are some Mozilla-specific (not cross-browser) APIs, and as such many WebExtensions DO work just fine.
Reporting issues with specific extensions is not something the GitHub issue tracker is for though, because we'd like to focus on our platform development there; unless you have specific platform APIs that are needed that can be ported, which you can open an issue for, issues stating "webextension X doesn't work" won't help us and will likely be closed as off-topic.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-12-28, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-12-30, 10:48

OK tanks for your answer
I didn't want to clog your issues tracker with unnecessary requests